Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/21 02:51:53 UTC

[DISCUSS] Management Server Memory Requirements

When Javelin was merged, there was an email sent out stating that devs
should set their MAVEN_OPTS to use 2g of heap, and 512M of permanent
memory.  Subsequently, there have also been several e-mails and issues
where devs have echoed this recommendation, and presumably it fixed
issues. I've seen the MS run out of memory myself and applied those
recommendations.

Is this what we want to provide in the tomcat config for a package
based install as well? It's effectively saying that the minimum
requirements for the management server are something like 3 or 4 GB
(to be safe for other running tasks) of RAM, right?

There is currently a bug filed that may or may not have to do with
this, CLOUDSTACK-1339. Users report mgmt server slowness, going
unresponsive for minutes at a time, but the logs seem to show business
as usual. User reports that java is taking 75% of RAM, depending on
what else is going on they may be swapping. Settings in the code for
an install are currently at 2g/512M, I've been running this on a 4GB
server for awhile now, java is at 900M, but I haven't been pounding it
with requests or anything.

This bug might not have anything to do with the memory settings, but I
figured it would be good to nail down what our minimum requirements
are for 4.1

Re: [DISCUSS] Management Server Memory Requirements

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, I can't get the management server to even function for a long
period of time with those memory settings, it throws out of memory
exceptions. I ran into that with my devcloud Xen last Friday as I run
the management server inside of it and dom0 only as 1GB of RAM.
Increasing to 1.5GB was enough to get by.

Unless anyone has some java tricks or insight into the spring
framework that can improve memory use (I'm making an assumption that
this was due to spring based on prior discussions), it seems like we
should probably set a minimum of 2GB for management server, with 4GB
being recommended, since many people will run their mysql on the same
host.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
As mentioned, it seemed to coincide with Javelin merge/spring
framework. Maybe there is some tuning to do there, but it's been
brought up before with no response, in the threads discussing the
MAVEN_OPTS memory increases.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Yes, this could be bad for people who might want to upgrade to 4.1

Posted by Sudha Ponnaganti <su...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Yes, there we see some swap thrashing.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, it will work for a little while until it starts swapping. Up until
this point most of the bugs filed have been about starting management
server or initial zone setup.

Posted by Sudha Ponnaganti <su...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 4:14 AM, Kelven Yang <ke...@citrix.com> wrote:
> Rohit,
>
> I don't think the memory issue is related to auto-scanning, I'm
> investigating the heap dump now and will update the thread once I've
> nailed down the root cause.

Hi Kelven,

You're correct, in my case both with autoscanning+annotations and no
autoscanning + no annotation, there was not much difference (about few
MBs). The only flexibility with xml way is to enforce aop etc. on it
and not make spring a build time dependency. If you think we should go
the xml way, let me know I already have the fix for that.

The problem as Prasanna hints should be in applicationContext.xml
where we're adding proxies for all the classes and methods
(captureAnyMethod), see;

  <aop:config proxy-target-class="true">
    <aop:aspect id="dbContextBuilder" ref="transactionContextBuilder">
        <aop:pointcut id="captureAnyMethod"
            expression="execution(* *(..))"
        />

Thanks and regards.

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 04:14:12AM +0530, Kelven Yang wrote:
> Rohit,
>
> I don't think the memory issue is related to auto-scanning, I'm
> investigating the heap dump now and will update the thread once I've
> nailed down the root cause.
>
> Kelven

True - but the aop regex for the dbcontext seems too wide and is
probably introducting a lot of transaction contexts.  I'm no spring
expert but the target of that expression is a method or a class? Does
it apply to all the Daos? Or every @DB annotated context ?
--
Prasanna.,

Re: [DISCUSS] Management Server Memory Requirements

Posted by Kelven Yang <ke...@citrix.com>.
Rohit,

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.