Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by pavan landge <pa...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/19 07:27:52 UTC

Fwd: Axis2: Security Bug Severity 1

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: pavan landge <pa...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu 13 Jun, 2019, 3:30 PM
Subject: Axis2: Security Bug Severity 1
To: <ja...@axis.apache.org>
Cc: pavan landge <pa...@gmail.com>

Hi Team,

I am using Axis2 jar for SAOP (Request/Response). In log4j  (Logger) I am
enabling the logs to check the parameters passed with soap envelope is
correct or not.
I can see in the soap envelop the* PASSWORD *is getting displayed.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<soapenv:Envelope
<soapenv:Header>
<wsse:Security soapenv:mustUnderstand="1"
xmlns:wsse="
http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-secext-1.0.xsd
">
<wsse:UsernameToken>
<wsse:Username>local:test123</wsse:Username>
<wsse:Password>.test123</wsse:Password>
</wsse:UsernameToken>
</wsse:Security>
<ns1:Headers soapenv:mustUnderstand="0"
xmlns:ns1=“urn:test123systems-com:Interconnect.Headers">
<ns1:Test123-Client-ID>234234bbdvb-dfg76-4t3f-1aer-01ebd7ferger</ns1:Test123-Client-ID>
</ns1:Headers>
</soapenv:Header>
<soapenv:Body>

Using below entry in log4j to enable the axis2 logs:

log4j.logger.org.apache.axis.client.Call=trace
log4j.logger.org.apache.axis.client.AxisClient=trace
log4j.logger.org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender=trace
log4j.logger.org.apache.axis.MessageContext=trace

Since it is displaying the Password as un-masked, is it valid as per the
security law concern.

Using below configuration machine:

JDK 1.8
Mysql 5.7 server.
Windows 2016 server.

Best Regards,
Pavan Landge
pavanlandge003@gmail.com

Re: Fwd: Axis2: Security Bug Severity 1

Posted by Jayanga Dissanayake <js...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pavan,

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 6:36 PM Alex Borschenko <aa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 6/19/2019 10:27 AM, pavan landge wrote:

It's not just the password, having usernames in log files is sometimes
problematic.
Especially, if you consider GDPR[1], you have to remove any data that you
can identify an individual upon request.
If you have usernames all over your logs adhering to those kinds of
enforcement would not be an easy task.

Furthermore, when considering the passwords, having passwords printed in
logs would lead to many security issues. Hence, in my opinion, this has to
be fixed immediately.

[1] https://eugdpr.org/

Thanks,
Jayanga

Posted by Alex Borschenko <aa...@gmail.com>.
On 6/19/2019 10:27 AM, pavan landge wrote:

---
Это сообщение проверено на вирусы антивирусом Avast.

Re: Axis2: Security Bug Severity 1

Posted by "robertlazarski ." <ro...@gmail.com>.
What you describe is going a bit in opposite directions, enable trace
logging to show everything and then have a policy to not show it.

If that situation is unavoidable somehow, I would do it right the first
time and encrypt the soap body.

My next choice would be to solve this at the logging level by using a
custom logger that blacklists some sensitive data however the general
consensus is white listing is less error prone.

The axis2 code uses commons logging which means you can use just about
anything for a custom logger.

Hope that helps,
Robert

Posted by pavan landge <pa...@gmail.com>.

> [...]