Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Daniel Keltner <da...@yahoo.com> on 2002/04/26 02:08:01 UTC

Hi. I'm a dumb newbie ... Install errors

I'm feeling really dumb right now....

I am trying to install Apache on AIX 4.3.
I downloaded 2.0.35, and followed the install steps
with no errors. (I am using vacpp as my c compiler)
make and make install ran fine with no errors.

When I tried to start the server with "apachectl
start", it gives me an error message "(core dump)
Segmentation fault". I couldn't find any error log or
anything to give me more detail.

So next I uninstalled 2.0.35 and tried installing
1.3.24. This time, the make didn't even run
successfully, it returned a list of compile errors.
(Sorry, I didn't capture the output to include here)

Finally I tried installing one of the precompiled
binaries for AIX. I downloaded a binary:
apache_1.3.22-000964804C00-ibm-aix4.3.tar.gz, ran the
install script with no errors, but when I tried to
start the server, got the following error message:

exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program httpd because of
the following errors:
        0509-023 Symbol dlsym in httpd is not defined.
        0509-023 Symbol dlerror in httpd is not
defined.
        0509-023 Symbol dlopen in httpd is not
defined.
        0509-023 Symbol dlclose in httpd is not
defined.
        0509-026 System error: Cannot run a file that
does not have a valid format.

Can any gurus out there help me out? ... or should I
quit beating my head against the wall and just give up
trying to run a server on AIX?

Thanks,

Dan

Re: Hi. I'm a dumb newbie ... Install errors

Posted by Josh Glover <jm...@incogen.com>.
Daniel Keltner wrote:
> I'm feeling really dumb right now....

I think we have *all* been there! ;)

Have you tried one of the binary tarballs from here?

http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/aix/

If you want to compile apache from source, I would suggest doing so with
gcc. I don't know much about vacpp, but in my experience, gcc works the
best.

--
Josh Glover <jm...@incogen.com>

Associate Systems Administrator