Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by thanna <th...@ldschurch.org> on 2011/07/06 17:13:19 UTC

When does the order of the elements matter

I have two services.  One service is running in CXF 2.2.4.  The other is
running 2.4.0.  In the service running 2.2.4.  I have a service that takes
in 13 parameters.  It seems that the order of these parameters in my SOAP
request matter.  In my service running 2.4.0 it seems that the order does
not matter.  At first I thought that this had to do with the version of CXF,
but when I get the first service running with 2.4.0 the order still seems to
matter.

This seems to be the case whether I make use of @WebParam or not.

Other posts on this list state that order should matter according to the
spec, but as I stated above in my second service order does not seem to
matter.

My question is which is it, does order matter?  If it does not then how do I
get my first service to no longer require a particular order.  If order does
matter, why does my second service take in the parameters in whatever order?
Is there a setting on the service I need to have to turn order on and off?

Re: When does the order of the elements matter

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Well, the order SHOULD definitely matter.   Be default, it generates
<sequence> in the wsdl's so officially, the ordering should matter.

I know if you turn on schema validation, it would definitely flag these types
of things.  Not sure if you want full schema validation though.

If you have ASM on the classpath or have the generated wrapper classes, I'm
not sure if JAXB by default respects the order when parsing by default.  I
THINK (for performance reasons) it just reads what it can.   Schema validation
would trigger though.   That said, I would kind of expect both of the services
on the same version of CXF/JAXB to behave the same.   Not sure what would
cause the difference.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp