Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Luigi Tagliamonte <lu...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/13 22:22:43 UTC

gracefully remove a node from the ensamble

Hello all!
is there any document that describes how to remove a zk node from the
ensemble?

Re: gracefully remove a node from the ensamble

Posted by Alexander Shraer <sh...@gmail.com>.
Well, first of all you need to bootstrap a system - so all the nodes should
know of each other. This hasn't changed in 3.5.
When you add a new server, you also need to bootstrap its config file with
something (there are a few suggestions in the manual) - it doesn't need to
be the latest config but it has to include the leader and it must be
specified in a way that avoids a split brain. Once the new server talks
with the leader,
it syncs the latest configuration (something like what you're saying). Then
you can issue a command to formally add it to the cluster.

Posted by Alexander Shraer <sh...@gmail.com>.
> java.lang.RuntimeException: My id 2 not in the peer list

if the server's id is 2, a line for server 2 should be in the config file.
More generally, the dynamic config file should be the same at both servers
and include both servers. The documentation should be helpful.

https://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/zookeeperAdmin.html
https://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/zookeeperReconfig.html

-zoo_replicated1.cfg.dynamic:
server.1=zook.mydomain.com:2888:3888;<client port>
server.2=zook.mydomain.com:yyyy:zzzz;<client port>

-zoo_replicated2.cfg.dynamic:
server.1=zook.mydomain.com:2888:3888;<client port>
server.2=zook.mydomain.com:yyyy:zzzz;<client port>

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 12:45 PM, Luigi Tagliamonte <

Posted by Luigi Tagliamonte <lu...@gmail.com>.
Thank Alexander,
I'm giving a shot to 3.5.3.
I have 2 servers, the first one has:

-zoo.cfg :
tickTime=2000
initLimit=10
syncLimit=5
dataDir=/var/lib/zookeeper/data
reconfigEnabled=true
standaloneEnabled=false
dynamicConfigFile=/etc/zookeeper/bin/conf/zoo_replicated1.cfg.dynamic

-zoo_replicated1.cfg.dynamic:
server.1=zook.mydomain.com:2888:3888

- myid: 1

On the second server I'm using the same zoo.cfg and zoo_replicated1.cfg.dynamic

Posted by Alexander Shraer <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luigi Tagliamonte <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hello again Alexander,

Posted by Alexander Shraer <sh...@gmail.com>.
Well, I totally understand you. But on the other hand - I know that the
dynamic membership code has been running in production since 2012: link
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-107?focusedCommentId=13566886&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13566886>
Of course it might have problems, but its been out for a while and I don't
think its less stable than 3.4. That's my personal opinion though :)

Cheers,
Alex

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Luigi Tagliamonte <

Posted by Luigi Tagliamonte <lu...@gmail.com>.
Thank you, Alexander!!!

Posted by Alexander Shraer <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Luigi,