Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Marcos Mu��oz <ci...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/16 11:13:03 UTC

Re: NetBeans language bundle

Hi.

After a few months there seems to be no progress with Netbeans translations.

What news can be contributed to the matter?
What progress is made on the subject? Maybe it worked and I don't know ...

Greetings!

Posted by Marcos Mu��oz <ci...@gmail.com>.
Hi Boris

I understand your questions.

We should be able to create a pseudoprivate repository with those donated files to correct them (headers and licenses). After correcting the files, they could be "returned to Apache" but corrected.

Regarding the way to install the locations there are 2 ways to proceed:
- Netbeans 8.2 has installers for each language.
- Visual Studio Code uses extensions / modules to install once you have downloaded and installed the base program.

I opt for the second option since the user can change languages without having to reinstall their software. What do you think?

Who has to decide how to proceed for both point 1 and point 2?

Regards,
Marcos.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 8:19 AM Boris Heithecker
<bo...@gmx.net> wrote:
> ...Does anybody know if it would be okay to reuse the donated files in a
> privately maintained repository?..

No, anything that's part of an Apache project must be managed on
public ASF repositories.

OTOH it's fine for NetBeans to have one more repository if that makes sense.

-Bertrand

Re: NetBeans language bundle

Posted by Boris Heithecker <bo...@gmx.net>.
Hi Marcos and everybody,
> [...]

> > to your IDE or platform app to get one language. These modules could be
> > made public in a separate repository. I would mean decoupling the
> > translations from the main repository, which is very large already.
> > Boris
> >
> > On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 at 11:30, Christian Pervoelz <cp...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > just for interest, as I was one of the community translators bringing
> > > German to NetBeans.
> > >
> > > What happened to these community translations?
> > > Did Oracle donate them too and if yes, where can I find them? Already
> > > looked through the sources and hadn't found anything.
> > >
> > > I think a lot of these translations are still valid and can be re-used
> for
> > > a lot of languages.
> > >
> > > But as Boris already said, there might be licensing issues to be

Boris Heithecker

Dr. Boris Heithecker
Lüneburger Str. 30
28870 Ottersberg