Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org> on 2012/01/03 09:47:54 UTC

Re: [C3] Import subprojects proposal [WAS: Re: [c3] Log4j injection in target of blocks]

> On 29/12/2011 12:02, Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>>> Hi all,
>>> first of all, apologies for delay :-)
>>>
>>> Here it follows some results from my investigation of our current SVN
>>> repository ("from root to branches" someone would have said...) and
>>> also
>>> a proposal of mine for making things a bit easier to work with.
>>>
>>> I'll take the current structure at
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/ as reference and base URL.
>>>
>>> */branches/*
>>> Move current /trunk/ under here as BRANCH_2_2_X (similar to
>>> BRANCH_2_1_X
>>> and others, already present) so that any further activity on C2.2 can
>>> take place here.
>>>
>>> */cocoon3/*
>>> Move /cocoon3/trunk as /trunk/ (Simone restructuring as presented above
>>> will take place here) and /cocoon3/tags/** under /tags, possibly
>>> refactoring paths like as
>>> /cocoon3/tags/cocoon-archetype-block/cocoon-archetype-block-3.0.0-alpha-3/
>>>
>>> to simpler /tags/cocoon-archetype-block-3.0.0-alpha-3/
>>>
>>> */site/*
>>> Merge this with current /cocoon3/trunk/cocoon-docs
>>>
>>> */tags/*
>>> As said above for /cocoon3, move /cocoon3/tags/* here, possibly
>>> refactoring paths
>>>
>>> */trunk/*
>>> As said above for /cocoon3, move /cocoon3/trunk/* here.
>>> Then, copy current trunk/subprojects/ (i.e.
>>> /branches/BRANCH_2_2_X/subprojects/ after refactoring):
>>> cocoon-block-deployment/
>>> cocoon-configuration/
>>> cocoon-jnet/
>>> cocoon-servlet-service/
>>> cocoon-xml/
>>> Next, copy some modules from current trunk/tools/ (i.e.
>>> /branches/BRANCH_2_2_X/tools/ after refactoring):
>>> cocoon-it-fw/
>>> cocoon-maven-plugin/
>>> cocoon-rcl/
>>> Finally, copy from current trunk/blocks/cocoon-serializers/ (i.e.
>>> /branches/BRANCH_2_2_X/blocks/cocoon-serializers/ after refactoring):
>>> cocoon-serializers-charsets/
>>>
>>> All modules involved with C3 should have now their places under
>>> /trunk/subprojects/ or /trunk/tools. If there is any module missing
>>> please let me know.
>>>
>>> We will need, of course, to adapt all pom.xml's for working in the
>>> new structure.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>> Not 100% sure.
>>
>> ATM we have:
>>
>>    * branches/
>>    * cocoon3/
>>    * site/
>>    * tags/
>>    * trunk/
>>    * whiteboard/
>>
>> Which IMO should become:
>> branches/ (2.X)
>> site/
>> tags/
>> trunk/ (cocoon3/)
>> whiteboard/
>> subprojects/
>> tools/
>>
>> Where within subproject/tools we would apply the branches|tags|trunk
>> structure. This way we can have a tag/branch for e.g. the
>> cocoon-spring-configurator for the 2.2 deps and sub-trunk against our
>> main-trunk. Further that would allow us to extract common code to a
>> module in tools/subproject. Makes sense?
>
> Yes, it does, indeed ;-)
> Fine for me.
>
>> Regarding site see David comment. The main problem here is that we
>> have a wide range of build tools which originally build our docu
>> (mainly forrest till now). However I am uncertain how we can manage
>> the docu for the different versions.
>
> I would say to just keep safe copy of legacy stuff and find a way to
> put here also current /cocoon3/trunk/cocoon-docs.
>
> Anyway, when would you like this re-organization to take place? I have
> personally nothing against starting ASAP; it would help if we can make
> some sort of live teamwork (gtalk? skype?) here because as fas as it
> seems it would imply quite a nice amount of work, and very risky work ;-)

Hi all,
since there seems to be no objections against this reviewed proposal so
far, I'll start drafting out the actual reorganization following the
guidelines defined above.

I would still be glad if anyone is willing to join me in a live session
for fixing all details involved (pom changes, JIRA, Sonar, Jenkins,
Sonatype, ...).

Anyway, because of the effects of such reorganizations, I'll ask here
for confirmation before committing.

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Apache Cocoon Committer and PMC Member
http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Community day for cleanup (was Re: [C3] Import subprojects proposal)

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Thorsten

that is fine for me, do you think a doodle can help? I could set-up ip
if you think it could be useful.

I am sorry for not being useful for setting up the IRC infra, but
looks really useful and I am +1 on this :)

Thanks for the feedback!
-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi