Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by slashone <sa...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/23 08:27:10 UTC

Query.combine() has been removed in lucene 4.0 ??

is this method has been moved to some other class ?
please provide alternative ..

RE: Query.combine() has been removed in lucene 4.0 ??

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
What are you trying to do with Query.combine? I want to just note, that the method creates wrong results for certain queries!

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

this looks like a XY problem: You should explain first what you want to do, so we can find a solution for you.

About Query.combine(): This method was solely a "helper" method only for use by the (Parallel-)MultiSearcher classes in Lucene, which were deprecated in 3.x and completely removed in Lucene 4. MultiSearcher had some serious problems with some type of queries (incorrect Boolean query expansion,...), which was especially caused by this method - which was completely undocumented and behaving wrong. The reason for this method was some custom rewrite logic, if a query must be executed on different IndexSearchers where the term dictionaries on the underlying IndexReaders were different.

The replacement for MultiSearcher and ParallelMultiSearcher in Lucene 4.0 is to use MultiReader with a single IndexSearcher and parallelization supported by passing an ExecutorSearvice to the IndexSearcher. Query.combine was removed because the (broken) MultiSearcher-Rewrite-Hack is no longer needed.

Uwe

-----