Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org> on 2002/11/06 21:48:48 UTC

Re: Jaxp license (was Re: is there such a thing as a common xml-apis.jar)

Yes, there are some,

However, for some reasons, there has been many people on general@xml
believing that JAXP was under Apache license and one precise person from
Sun which is involved in Jaxp never denied it but Sun is still
delivering under a license that is way more restrictive.

I can only say that jaxp license(s?) is one of the greatest unclarity I
have ever seen from such a company as Sun.
This is important because... Sun is precisely the company that can make
licenses a real threat for you. There was a Jaxp version which did not
allow you to ship that version with your product if it was delivered six
months later than the last version.
And they keep changing their license too...
And, for some products, you have to defend Sun if they get sued by
someone that has used your software.

I presume this is the poor destiny of people writing code in such a
confortable language whose license, itself, is only partially well
understood. Fortunately, gcj allows us to hope for a more serene future
in case Sun really strikes back with, say, their brand-names.

Paul