Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Phil Smith <ph...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/13 20:46:43 UTC

[users@httpd] SSLProtocol and TLSv1

I'm running Apache distributed via CentOS6:
Server: Apache/2.2.15 (CentOS)

I'm attempting to disable TLSv1.0 in ssl.conf using either of:

SSLProtocol all -SSLv2 -SSLv3 -TLSv1
or
SSLProtocol +TLSv1.1 +TLSv1.2

Either setting seems to work in disabling TLSv1 if the apache server is
requested via private IP address.

However, neither seem to work in disabling TLSv1 if the apache server is
requested via public IP address.

I'm using openssl to test support for tlsv1 using:
/usr/bin/openssl s_client -connect x.x.x.x:443 -tls1

When x.x.x.x is replaced with private IP address, TLSv1 is not supported.
When x.x.x.x is replaced with public IP address, TLSv1 is supported.

NAT'ing is set up properly from the private to public IP addresses that I
am using to test.

openssl version is:
$ openssl version -a
OpenSSL 1.0.1e-fips 11 Feb 2013

The server is configured for IP based virtual hosts.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening?

Thank you.

Re: [users@httpd] SSLProtocol and TLSv1

Posted by Phil Smith <ph...@gmail.com>.
Yes, thank you. There is a web app firewall in front of the apache server
on the public side, so the allowed protocol versions need to be applied to
the web app firewall, as well.

That explains why setting SSLProtocol affected the server when connecting
directly to it via private IP address. The public IP address first goes
through the web app firewall.

Posted by Rajesh Tammineni <rc...@gmail.com>.
Check if there is any load balancer to your public ip. If it is then you need to check the SSL settings on load balancer side.

Thanks
Raj

Posted by Frank Gingras <th...@apache.org>.
That won't work. You must define it in the global scope.

If you have several ssl vhosts and only set SSLProtocol in the vhost
context, the value from the first vhost would take precedence.

Posted by Phil Smith <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Houser, Rick" <ri...@jackson.com>.
I noticed you are running an older version of Apache via RHEL, and guessed that you are likely in a corporate environment.  You might also have a MITM attack going on.  Lots of corporations mess with traffic via MITM proxies that intercept traffic, redirects, etc.  If you don't find the solution quickly, I suggest checking the TLS endpoint to make sure you are actually talking to your server directly (check that the certs match, etc., not just the name on them).

Rick Houser
Web Administration

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.