Posted to marketing@apache.org by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> on 2014/11/26 17:54:38 UTC

Having a "Who uses X" page?

Hi, Jena (see below) just gathered some emails about who is using the
software, and I thought this should be on the Jena website, considering the
notes about marketing made at ApacheCon EU.

The issue is how to avoid the impression of endorsing these companies and
make it clear that others can be added. I see other projects like Hadoop
and Lucene have put these kind of lists in a wiki page rather than on the
main pages.

is that the suggested best practice? What legal preamble is needed on such
a page?

frowned upon, what we can't say is that Jena is made by or for these
companies.

>> and perhaps only truly self-reported ones could be listed, e.g. exclude
IBM and those Andy found out by looking at error messages.. ;)

>> How other projects do this:
>>
>> http://hadoop.apache.org/#Who+Uses+Hadoop%3F
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=30744222
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/PoweredBy
>>
>> So the trend is to put such a list in a separate wiki page so it is more
obviously not endorsement and easier to see that you can add yourself.

>> On 26 Nov 2014 16:22, "Rob Vesse" <rv...@dotnetrdf.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Stian
>>>
>>> Putting up such a page is somewhat frowned upon at the ASF
>>>
>>> http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/responsibility#independent
>>>
>>> "Projects must not endorse or promote the work of third parties, nor
allow
>>> third party influence to affect the future of the project for specific
>>> outside organisations."
>>>
>>> So we'd have to be very careful how we phrase things to not fall afoul
of
>>> this requirement.
>>>
>>> Rob
>>>
>>> From:  Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
>>> Date:  Wednesday, 26 November 2014 15:44
>>> To:  "users@jena.apache.org" <us...@jena.apache.org>
>>> Subject:  Re: Jena / Stanbol success stories?

Jena

Re: Having a "Who uses X" page?

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
There are best practices that apply to all Apache projects:

  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/linking

Projects are free to come up with their own ways of doing this kind of
thing; however it is important that the overall impression keeps within
the spirit of being an independently governed project.

We don't have a specific blurb of text to say "these companies use our
software, but aren't directly related to our project governance" or the
like - if people have suggestions we can consider them!

- Shane

Re: Having a "Who uses X" page?

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.