Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID> on 2019/02/28 16:38:21 UTC

[VOTE] Functional DataSourceV2 in Spark 3.0

I’d like to call a vote for committing to getting DataSourceV2 in a
functional state for Spark 3.0.

For more context, please see the discussion thread, but here is a quick
summary about what this commitment means:

   - We think that a “functional DSv2” is an achievable goal for the Spark
   3.0 release
   - We will consider this a blocker for Spark 3.0, and take reasonable
   steps to make it happen
   - We will *not* delay the release without a community discussion

Here’s what we’ve defined as a functional DSv2:

   - Add a plugin system for catalogs
   - Add an interface for table catalogs (see the ongoing SPIP vote)
   - Add an implementation of the new interface that calls SessionCatalog
   to load v2 tables
   - Add a resolution rule to load v2 tables from the v2 catalog
   - Add CTAS logical and physical plan nodes
   - Add conversions from SQL parsed plans to v2 logical plans (e.g.,
   INSERT INTO support)

Please vote in the next 3 days on whether you agree with committing to this
goal.

[ ] +1: Agree that we should consider a functional DSv2 implementation a
blocker for Spark 3.0
[ ] +0: . . .
[ ] -1: I disagree with this goal because . . .

Thank you!
--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: [VOTE] Functional DataSourceV2 in Spark 3.0

Posted by Joseph Torres <jo...@databricks.com>.
I'm not worried about rushing. I worry that, without clear parameters for
the amount or types of DSv2 delays that are acceptable, we might end up
holding back 3.0 indefinitely to meet the deadline when we wouldn't have
made that decision de novo. (Or even worse, the PMC eventually feels they
must release 3.0 anyway, and then we're in the same position but everyone's
angry and frustrated.)

I do recognize that I'm particularly allergic to this risk, which is why
I'm not giving a -1 here - one of the first projects I worked on in my
career was delayed for over a year because an incomplete feature was bound
to its release date. But I don't agree that "might not resolve anything" is
the worst possible outcome here.

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.
The question is, what does it bind?

I’m not pushing for a binding statement to do this or delay the 3.0 release
because I don’t think that’s a very reasonable thing to do. It may well be
that there is a good reason for missing the goal.

So “what does it bind?” is an apt question.

A commitment binds us to do this and make a reasonable attempt at finishing
on time. If we choose not to commit, or if we choose to commit and don’t
make a reasonable attempt, then we need to ask, “what happened?” Is Spark
the right place for this work?

What I don’t want is to work on it for 3-4 more months, miss the release,
and then not have anyone take that problem seriously because we never said
it was important. If we try and fail, then we need to fix what went wrong.
This removes the option to pretend it wasn’t a goal in the first place.
That’s why I think it is important that we make a statement that we, the
community, intend to do it.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Cheah <mc...@palantir.com>.
I want to specifically highlight and +1 a point that Ryan brought up:

A commitment binds us to do this and make a reasonable attempt at finishing on time. If we choose not to commit, or if we choose to commit and don’t make a reasonable attempt, then we need to ask, “what happened?” Is Spark the right place for this work?

What I don’t want is to work on it for 3-4 more months, miss the release, and then not have anyone take that problem seriously because we never said it was important. If we try and fail, then we need to fix what went wrong. This removes the option to pretend it wasn’t a goal in the first place. That’s why I think it is important that we make a statement that we, the community, intend to do it.

This is the crux of the matter we want to tackle here. Whether or not we block the release is a decision we can make when we are closer to the release date. But the fact of the matter is that Data Source V2’s new APIs have not been given the prioritization and urgency that they deserve. This vote is binding us to consider Data Source V2 so important that it needs to be prioritized far more highly than it is right now, to the point where we would at least consider delaying the release if it meant we could finish the work.

I also don’t quite follow the reason why we shouldn’t consider features to be as important to target as API breaks in major versions. When major versions of any software product are introduced, they certainly include API breaks as necessary, but they also add new features that give users incentive to upgrade in the first place. If all we do is introduce API breaks but no new features or critical bug fixes (and critical bug fixes are often severe enough that they’re backported to earlier branches anyways), what appeal is there for users to upgrade to that latest version?

-Matt Cheah

On 2/28/19, 1:37 PM, "Mridul Muralidharan" <mr...@gmail.com> wrote:

      I am -1 on this vote for pretty much all the reasons that Mark mentioned.

    A major version change gives us an opportunity to remove deprecated

    interfaces, stabilize experimental/developer api, drop support for

    outdated functionality/platforms and evolve the project with a vision

    for foreseeable future.

    IMO the primary focus should be on interface evolution, stability and

    lowering tech debt which might result in breaking changes.

    Which is not to say DSv2 should not be part of 3.0

    Along with a lot of other exciting features also being added, it can

    be one more important enhancement.

    But I am not for delaying the release simply to accommodate a specific feature.

    Features can be added in subsequent as well - I am yet to hear of a

    good reason why it must be make it into 3.0 to need a VOTE thread.

    Regards,

    Mridul

Posted by Mridul Muralidharan <mr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>.

Posted by Joseph Torres <jo...@databricks.com>.
I’m sure we, as a community, will seriously consider any proposal that
Spark would benefit if the PMC delays release X to include changes A, B, C.
Indeed, every release I remember has had a few iterations of “can we hold
the train for a bit because it would be super great to get this PR in”.

Many contributors (including me) do believe data source v2 should be done
by 3.0, can mark the appropriate JIRAs as blockers, and will at release
time argue in favor of holding the train for a week or two if that’s what’s
needed to get all the pieces on board.

What the vote seems to imply is that we will consider holding the release
even beyond the “just a few PRs in review” level, if there are serious
outstanding design or implementation questions. That’s not a judgment I
think we can make in advance. Is it better to delay Spark 3.0 by N months
or DSv2 by 6 months? Who knows - depends on the PMC’s priorities at the
time and how confident we are in the value of N.

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>.

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>.

Posted by Matt Cheah <mc...@palantir.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Are identifiers and namespaces going to be rolled under one of those six points?

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Functional DataSourceV2 in Spark 3.0

Posted by Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>.
No, it is not at all dead! There just isn't any kind of expectation or
commitment that the 3.0.0 release will be held up in any way if DSv2 is not
ready to go when the rest of 3.0.0 is. There is nothing new preventing
continued work on DSv2 or its eventual inclusion in a release.

Posted by Jean Georges Perrin <jg...@jgp.net>.

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

--
Ryan Blue