Posted to users@maven.apache.org by deckrider <de...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/23 17:56:41 UTC

svnmerge and multi module parent pom version updates

We have a number of multi module projects with multiple branches.
Unfortunately, this means that every time we use release:prepare
release:perform, it updates all the poms, which then appear in another
branch (and must be ignored) when we run svnmerge.

Is there some technique to easily ignore these changes, but pickup
other needed pom.xml changes?

Re: svnmerge and multi module parent pom version updates

Posted by deckrider <de...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 9:56 AM, deckrider <de...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > We have a number of multi module projects with multiple branches.
>  >  Unfortunately, this means that every time we use release:prepare
>  >  release:perform, it updates all the poms, which then appear in another
>  >  branch (and must be ignored) when we run svnmerge.
>  >
>  >  Is there some technique to easily ignore these changes, but pickup
>  >  other needed pom.xml changes?
>
>  What's happening exactly?  I'm not familiar with the svnmerge tool.
>
>  Is it *any* update to the poms that causes a problem, or is it the
>  incremented version number after the release?

It is the incremented version number after the release.

>  (If it's the latter, you don't _have_ to increment/change the "next"
>  version number.)

But we want it to increment.  The problem is that we have to somehow
ignore that incrementing in the later branches, because of course,
they have their own version numbers in all the poms which are also
incrementing.

Re: svnmerge and multi module parent pom version updates

Posted by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com>.
Wendy Smoak wrote:

> What's happening exactly?  I'm not familiar with the svnmerge tool.

svnmerge.py is what you should use if you intend to merge branches.

http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Svnmerge.py

"svn merge" doesn't really work for anything but the simplest cases; it
will be fixed in SVN 1.5, which is scheduled to be released someday,
probably. ;-)

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-01-2008/jw-01-svnmerging.html?page=1

The moral of this story is that it should be possible to use the release
plugin to increment version numbers without checking in to SCM.  I've
filed MRELEASE-324 on this.

-Dan

Re: svnmerge and multi module parent pom version updates

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

--
Wendy