Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Sander Striker <st...@samba-tng.org> on 2001/06/18 12:55:33 UTC

Moving filters out of apache and into apr

Hi,

First a small example. Lets say I'm implementing an
SMTP server and a client. For the server I build a
filter that handles the connection etc.
Now consider the 'TURN' command. Now I have to make
the connecting entity (the client) do all the work
that the server does. I'd like to reuse the filter...

Actually it is not so common that server and client
switch roles. It just was very convenient for my example.

But, I'd really like to see filters out of apache
so you can build client code in terms of filters too.
Or am I talking crap now? (and missing what the filters
are intended for)

Thoughts? (or enlightenment)

Sander

PS. Please don't throw back the 'if you need it, do it'
    line. I want to see what other people think first.
    And if it is _possible_ to move the filters out.

Re: Moving filters out of apache and into apr

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.

> It is possible, but not easy.  The problem is that our filters are tied to
> the request and connection req's.  I am not exactly sure how to remove
> that dependancy, but it is possible to do it, we just need to give that
> topic some thought.
>
> All in all, I am massively in favor of moving filters from httpd to
> apr-util.

Let's not do the httpd specific hits until after Apache 2.0 is released.

Bill

Re: Moving filters out of apache and into apr

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
It is possible, but not easy.  The problem is that our filters are tied to
the request and connection req's.  I am not exactly sure how to remove
that dependancy, but it is possible to do it, we just need to give that
topic some thought.

All in all, I am massively in favor of moving filters from httpd to
apr-util.

Ryan

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Sander Striker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First a small example. Lets say I'm implementing an
> SMTP server and a client. For the server I build a
> filter that handles the connection etc.
> Now consider the 'TURN' command. Now I have to make
> the connecting entity (the client) do all the work
> that the server does. I'd like to reuse the filter...
>
> Actually it is not so common that server and client
> switch roles. It just was very convenient for my example.
>
> But, I'd really like to see filters out of apache
> so you can build client code in terms of filters too.
> Or am I talking crap now? (and missing what the filters
> are intended for)
>
> Thoughts? (or enlightenment)
>
> Sander
>
> PS. Please don't throw back the 'if you need it, do it'
>     line. I want to see what other people think first.
>     And if it is _possible_ to move the filters out.

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131