Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by ashokc <as...@qualcomm.com> on 2009/04/03 02:33:09 UTC

Oracle Clob column with DIH does not turn to String

Hi,

I have set up to import some oracle clob columns with DIH. I am using the
latest nightly release. My config says,

But it does not seem to turn this clob into a String. The search results
show:

   1.8670129
    oracle.sql.CLOB@aed3a5
   4486

Any pointers on why I do not get the 'string' out of the clob for indexing?
Is the nightly war NOT the right one to use?

Thanks for your help.

- ashok

Re: Oracle Clob column with DIH does not turn to String

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 7:15 PM, ashokc <as...@qualcomm.com> wrote:

> Yes, you are correct. But the documentation for DIH says the column names
> are
> case insensitive. That should be fixed. Here is what it says:
>
> =============
> A shorter data-config
>
> In the above example, there are mappings of fields to Solr fields. It is
> possible to totally avoid the field entries in entities if the names of the
> fields are same (case does not matter) as those in Solr schema.
>
> ============

It says that the field definitions can be avoided if the field names in the
entity and the schema.xml are the same. But if present in the data-config,
they are supposed to have been provided in the correct case.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Oracle Clob column with DIH does not turn to String

Posted by ashokc <as...@qualcomm.com>.

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com>.
it is very expensive to do a case insensitive lookup. It must first
convert all the keys to lower case and try looking up there. because
it may not be always in uppercase it can be in mixed case as well

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 12:58 AM, ashokc <as...@qualcomm.com> wrote:

> Happy to report that it is working. Looks like we have to use UPPER CASE for
> all the column names. When I examined the map 'aRow', it had the column
> names in upper case, where as my config had lower case. No match was found
> so nothing happened. Changed my config and it works now. Thanks for your
> help. Perhaps this transformer can be modified to be case-insensitive for
> the column names. If you had written it perhaps it is a quick change for
> you?
>
> Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ् wrote:
>>
>> I guess u can write a custom transformer which gets a String out of
>> the oracle.sql.CLOB. I am just out of clue, why this may happen. I
>> even wrote a testcase and it seems to work fine
>> --Noble
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:23 PM, ashokc <as...@qualcomm.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I downloaded the nightly build yesterday (2nd April), modified the
>>> ClobTransformer.java file with some prints, compiled it all (ant dist).
>>> It
>>> produced a war file, "apache-solr-1.4-dev.war". That is what I am using.
>>> My
>>> modification & compilation has not affected the results. I was getting
>>> the
>>> same behavior with the 'war' that download came with. Thanks Noble.

>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> --Noble Paul

--Noble Paul

Re: Oracle Clob column with DIH does not turn to String

Posted by ashokc <as...@qualcomm.com>.

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com>.
I guess u can write a custom transformer which gets a String out of
the oracle.sql.CLOB. I am just out of clue, why this may happen. I
even wrote a testcase and it seems to work fine
--Noble

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:23 PM, ashokc <as...@qualcomm.com> wrote:

> I downloaded the nightly build yesterday (2nd April), modified the
> ClobTransformer.java file with some prints, compiled it all (ant dist). It
> produced a war file, "apache-solr-1.4-dev.war". That is what I am using. My
> modification & compilation has not affected the results. I was getting the
> same behavior with the 'war' that download came with. Thanks Noble.
>
> Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ् wrote:
>>
>> and which version of Solr are u using?
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:09 PM, ashokc <as...@qualcomm.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sure:
>>>
>>> data-config Xml
>>> ===============
>>>
>>> <dataConfig>
>>>    <dataSource driver="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"
>>> url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@xxxxx" user="remedy" password="yyyyy"/>
>>>    <document name="remedy">
>>>            <entity name="log" transformer="ClobTransformer" query="SELECT
>>> mylog_ato, name_char, dsc FROM log_tbl">
>>>                <field column="mylog_ato" name="log_no" />
>>>                <field column="name_char" name="short_desc" />
>>>                <field column="dsc" clob="true" name="description" />
>>>            </entity>
>>>    </document>
>>> </dataConfig>
>>>
>>> ===========
>>>
>>> A search result on the field short_desc:
>>> --------------------------------------
>>>
>>> <doc>
>>> <float name="score">1.8670129</float>
>>> <str name="description">oracle.sql.CLOB@155e3ab</str>
>>> <int name="log_no">4486</int>
>>> <str name="short_desc">Develop Rating functionality for QIN</str>
>>> <date name="timestamp">2009-04-03T11:47:32.635Z</date>
>>> </doc>

>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> --Noble Paul

--Noble Paul

Re: Oracle Clob column with DIH does not turn to String

Posted by ashokc <as...@qualcomm.com>.

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com>.
and which version of Solr are u using?

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:09 PM, ashokc <as...@qualcomm.com> wrote:

> Sure:
>
> data-config Xml
> ===============
>
> <dataConfig>
>    <dataSource driver="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"
> url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@xxxxx" user="remedy" password="yyyyy"/>
>    <document name="remedy">
>            <entity name="log" transformer="ClobTransformer" query="SELECT
> mylog_ato, name_char, dsc FROM log_tbl">
>                <field column="mylog_ato" name="log_no" />
>                <field column="name_char" name="short_desc" />
>                <field column="dsc" clob="true" name="description" />
>            </entity>
>    </document>
> </dataConfig>
>
> ===========
>
> A search result on the field short_desc:
> --------------------------------------
>
> <doc>
> <float name="score">1.8670129</float>
> <str name="description">oracle.sql.CLOB@155e3ab</str>
> <int name="log_no">4486</int>
> <str name="short_desc">Develop Rating functionality for QIN</str>
> <date name="timestamp">2009-04-03T11:47:32.635Z</date>
> </doc>
>

> Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ् wrote:
>>
>> There is something else wrong with your setup.
>>
>> can you just paste the whole data-config.xml
>>
>> --Noble
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 5:39 PM, ashokc <as...@qualcomm.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Noble,
>>> I put in a few 'System.out.println' statements in the
>>> ClobTransformer.java
>>> file & remade the war. But I see none of these prints coming up in my
>>> 'catalina.out' file. Is that the right file to be looking at?
>>>
>>> As an aside, is 'catalina.out' the ONLY log file for SOLR? I turned on
>>> the
>>> logging to 'FINE' for everything. Also, these settings seem to go away
>>> when
>>> Tomcat is restarted.
>>> - ashok

>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> --Noble Paul

--Noble Paul

Re: Oracle Clob column with DIH does not turn to String

Posted by ashokc <as...@qualcomm.com>.
Sure:

data-config Xml
===============

Re: How to send a parsed Query to shards?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: reference some large in-memory lookup tables.  After the search components
: get done processing the orignal query, the query may contain SpanNearQueries
: and DisjunctionMaxQueries.  I'd like to send that query to the shards, not
: the original query.
:
: I've come up with the following idea for doing this.  Would people please
: comment on this idea or suggest a better alternative?
:
: * Subclass QueryComponent to base64 encode the serialized form of the query
: and send that in place of the original query.
:
: * set the queryParser on the shard servers to a custom class that unencodes
: and deserializes the encoded query and returns it.

those are essentially the same idea .... a query string is just a
simple form of QUery serialization.  a COmponent on your master could
modify the query string to be anything you want (base64 encoded native
serialization, xml based serialization, json, etc...) as long as the
QParser on the slave machines know how to make sense of it.

-Hoss

How to send a parsed Query to shards?

Posted by Dallan Quass <da...@quass.org>.
I want to use distributed search with some search components that I would
like to execute only on the main server, not on the shards, because they
reference some large in-memory lookup tables.  After the search components
get done processing the orignal query, the query may contain SpanNearQueries
and DisjunctionMaxQueries.  I'd like to send that query to the shards, not
the original query.

I've come up with the following idea for doing this.  Would people please
comment on this idea or suggest a better alternative?

* Subclass QueryComponent to base64 encode the serialized form of the query
and send that in place of the original query.

* set the queryParser on the shard servers to a custom class that unencodes
and deserializes the encoded query and returns it.

Thoughts on this approach, or is there a better one?

Thanks,

-dallan

Re: Oracle Clob column with DIH does not turn to String

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com>.
There is something else wrong with your setup.

can you just paste the whole data-config.xml

--Noble

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 5:39 PM, ashokc <as...@qualcomm.com> wrote:

> Noble,
> I put in a few 'System.out.println' statements in the ClobTransformer.java
> file & remade the war. But I see none of these prints coming up in my
> 'catalina.out' file. Is that the right file to be looking at?
>
> As an aside, is 'catalina.out' the ONLY log file for SOLR? I turned on the
> logging to 'FINE' for everything. Also, these settings seem to go away when
> Tomcat is restarted.
> - ashok
>
> Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ् wrote:
>>
>> yeah, ant dist will give you the .war file you may need . just drop it
>> in and you are set to go. or if you can hook up a debugger to a
>> running Solr that is the easiest
>> --Noble
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 9:35 AM, ashokc <as...@qualcomm.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> That would require me to recompile (with ant/maven scripts?) the source
>>> and
>>> replace the jar for DIH, right? I can try - for the first time.
>>> - ashok

>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> --Noble Paul

--Noble Paul

Re: Oracle Clob column with DIH does not turn to String

Posted by ashokc <as...@qualcomm.com>.
Noble,

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com>.
yeah, ant dist will give you the .war file you may need . just drop it
in and you are set to go. or if you can hook up a debugger to a
running Solr that is the easiest
--Noble

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 9:35 AM, ashokc <as...@qualcomm.com> wrote:

> That would require me to recompile (with ant/maven scripts?) the source and
> replace the jar for DIH, right? I can try - for the first time.
> - ashok
>
> Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ् wrote:
>>
>> This looks strange. Apparently the Transformer did not get applied. Is
>> it possible for you to debug ClobTransformer adding(System.out.println
>> into ClobTransformer may help)
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 6:04 AM, ashokc <as...@qualcomm.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Correcting my earlier post. It lost some lines some how.
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have set up to import some oracle clob columns with DIH. I am using the
>>> latest nightly release. My config says,
>>>

>>> <entity name="log" transformer="ClobTransformer"
>>>
>>>    <field column="description" clob="true" name="description" />
>>>
>>> </entity>
>>>
>>> But it does not seem to turn this clob into a String. The search results
>>> show:
>>>
>>> <doc>
>>>   <float name="score">1.8670129</float>
>>>    <str name="description">oracle.sql.CLOB@aed3a5</str>
>>>   <int name="log_no">4486</int>
>>> </doc>
>>>
>>> Any pointers on why I do not get the 'string' out of the clob for
>>> indexing?
>>> Is the nightly war NOT the right one to use?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help.
>>>
>>> - ashok

>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> --Noble Paul

--Noble Paul

Re: Oracle Clob column with DIH does not turn to String

Posted by ashokc <as...@qualcomm.com>.

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com>.
This looks strange. Apparently the Transformer did not get applied. Is
it possible for you to debug ClobTransformer adding(System.out.println
into ClobTransformer may help)

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 6:04 AM, ashokc <as...@qualcomm.com> wrote:

> Correcting my earlier post. It lost some lines some how.
>
> Hi,
>
> I have set up to import some oracle clob columns with DIH. I am using the
> latest nightly release. My config says,
>

> <entity name="log" transformer="ClobTransformer"
>
>    <field column="description" clob="true" name="description" />
>
> </entity>
>
> But it does not seem to turn this clob into a String. The search results
> show:
>
> <doc>
>   <float name="score">1.8670129</float>
>    <str name="description">oracle.sql.CLOB@aed3a5</str>
>   <int name="log_no">4486</int>
> </doc>
>
> Any pointers on why I do not get the 'string' out of the clob for indexing?
> Is the nightly war NOT the right one to use?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> - ashok
>

> ashokc wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have set up to import some oracle clob columns with DIH. I am using the
>> latest nightly release. My config says,
>>
>> <entity name="description" transformer="ClobTransformer" ... <field
>> column="description" clob="true" />
>>
>> </entity>
>>
>> But it does not seem to turn this clob into a String. The search results
>> show:
>>
>> <doc>
>>    <float name="score">1.8670129</float>
>>     <str name="description">oracle.sql.CLOB@aed3a5</str>
>>    <int name="log_no">4486</int>
>> </doc>
>>
>> Any pointers on why I do not get the 'string' out of the clob for
>> indexing? Is the nightly war NOT the right one to use?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> - ashok

--Noble Paul

Re: Oracle Clob column with DIH does not turn to String

Posted by ashokc <as...@qualcomm.com>.