Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ba...@mediageneral.com on 2003/04/10 20:28:38 UTC

[users@httpd] Problem with apache

Hi,
I'm having a problem password protecting certain directories on my
webserver. Everything was working until I started working with AuthGroupFile
I've included a copy of the error message, httpd.conf code and my group file
info....

[Thu Apr 10 13:03:03 2003] [crit] [client 12.5.1.207] configuration error:
couldn't check access.  No groups file?: /sidebar
(and yes nothing is named sidebar - don't get it)

<Directory /u01/mgfs/mgfsbizpage/sidebar>
    Options FollowSymLinks Includes
    #AllowOverride None
    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "Restricted Sidebar Files"
    AuthUserFile /u01/mgfs/mgfsbizpage/.htpasswd
    AuthGroupFile /u01/mgfs/mgfsbizpage/sidebargroup.txt
    Require group sidebargroup
</Directory>

This file is named sidebargroup.txt

sidebargroup:  MGFinSv thedes65 mgfs1127 mgfs1132 mgfs1134 mgfs1136 biz1010
sidebargroup:LNewsAdv Progress DRegBee StarExp Nherald Potomac MJMess NewsVa
Bpress sidebargroup:VirBus WinSal DailyNws Indepen McDowell NewsHer Review
Landmark sidebargroup:Tribune Hernando Highland Denver MGNSDC mgfs1111
mgfs1112 mgfs1137

Thanks,
Bobbie

Bobbie Atristain
Internet Systems Administrator
Media General, INC.
804.649.6156

Re: [users@httpd] Problem with apache

Posted by Future Shock Business Solutions <fu...@shaw.ca>.

<Directory /u01/mgfs/mgfsbizpage/sidebar>
    Options FollowSymLinks Includes
    AllowOverride AuthConfig #make this change
    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "Restricted Sidebar Files"
    AuthUserFile /u01/mgfs/mgfsbizpage/.htpasswd
    AuthGroupFile /u01/mgfs/mgfsbizpage/sidebargroup.txt
    Require group sidebargroup
    Satisfy any # try adding this, also
</Directory>

What permissions have you set for the sidebargroup.txt file?

See http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/auth.html

HTH
Eric
Future Shock Business Solutions

> I'm having a problem password protecting certain directories on my
> webserver. Everything was working until I started working with
AuthGroupFile
> I've included a copy of the error message, httpd.conf code and my group
file
> info....
>
> [Thu Apr 10 13:03:03 2003] [crit] [client 12.5.1.207] configuration error:
> couldn't check access.  No groups file?: /sidebar
> (and yes nothing is named sidebar - don't get it)
>

> <Directory /u01/mgfs/mgfsbizpage/sidebar>
>     Options FollowSymLinks Includes
>     #AllowOverride None
>     AuthType Basic
>     AuthName "Restricted Sidebar Files"
>     AuthUserFile /u01/mgfs/mgfsbizpage/.htpasswd
>     AuthGroupFile /u01/mgfs/mgfsbizpage/sidebargroup.txt
>     Require group sidebargroup
> </Directory>
>
> This file is named sidebargroup.txt
>
> sidebargroup:  MGFinSv thedes65 mgfs1127 mgfs1132 mgfs1134 mgfs1136
biz1010
> sidebargroup:LNewsAdv Progress DRegBee StarExp Nherald Potomac MJMess
NewsVa
> Bpress sidebargroup:VirBus WinSal DailyNws Indepen McDowell NewsHer Review
> Landmark sidebargroup:Tribune Hernando Highland Denver MGNSDC mgfs1111
> mgfs1112 mgfs1137
>

> Thanks,
> Bobbie
>

> Bobbie Atristain
> Internet Systems Administrator
> Media General, INC.
> 804.649.6156

---
and so I am according to the latest doctor's report!