Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2019/05/01 21:03:25 UTC

Remote attendance at Hackathon

Hi all,

What to folks think about setting up a #Tomcat channel on the ASF slack
instance and using it during the hackathon to interact with folks that
want to be involved but can't travel?

It would allow general chat as well as topic specific (video - if the
venue can stand the bandwidth) calls.

I hope to be available for some of Saturday.

We can also use the channel on an ongoing basis if we find it useful.

Thoughts?

Mark

Re: Remote attendance at Hackathon

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 5:16 PM Igal Sapir <ig...@lucee.org> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 2:03 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > What to folks think about setting up a #Tomcat channel on the ASF slack
> > instance and using it during the hackathon to interact with folks that
> > want to be involved but can't travel?
> >
> > It would allow general chat as well as topic specific (video - if the
> > venue can stand the bandwidth) calls.
> >
> > I hope to be available for some of Saturday.
> >
> > We can also use the channel on an ongoing basis if we find it useful.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >

> I think that it's a great idea.  I would have loved to attend in person but
> travelling on those dates didn't work for me.  Doing so remotely would be
> great if possible.

+1

Woonsan

Posted by Igal Sapir <ig...@lucee.org>.
On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 7:26 AM Christopher Schultz <
chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> <snip/>
> >
> > I think that it's a great idea.  I would have loved to attend in
> > person but travelling on those dates didn't work for me.  Doing so
> > remotely would be great if possible.
>
> The schedule has us at the venue until 22:00 local time (ugh) for
> Saturday, so we might even be able to see Igal during some non-crazy
> tie for him (who, I believe is PDT, so 9 hours away from Brussels).

LOL.  Yea, the time zone difference definitely adds a layer of complexity.
It's totally understandable if it doesn't work out, so please don't go far
out of your way trying to make it work.

I will catch up with whoever comes to Vegas in September.

Have fun,

Igal

Re: Remote attendance at Hackathon

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Remote attendance at Hackathon

Posted by Igal Sapir <ig...@lucee.org>.
Mark,

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 11:15 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 02/05/2019 10:05, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> > On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 11:03 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> What to folks think about setting up a #Tomcat channel on the ASF slack
> >> instance and using it during the hackathon to interact with folks that
> >> want to be involved but can't travel?
> >>
> >> It would allow general chat as well as topic specific (video - if the
> >> venue can stand the bandwidth) calls.
> >>

> > Video is quite hard to do right, so that's super ambitious. I guess we'll
> > try.
> > "the ASF slack instance" is what exactly ? I found
> > https://the-asf.slack.com/ is that it ?
>
> Yep, that is it. I've just created the #tomcat channel. Anyone with an
> @apache.org address can add themselves. I think anyone else needs to be
> invited.
>
> I have created my account and joined your Tomcat channel. I also connected
my phone to that.

On the "video call" front it's more complex though:
- I don't see the feature in the phone app (so it looks a bit useless for
that)
- On the desktop website, it's there but it needs Chrome or a desktop app

Rémy

Re: Remote attendance at Hackathon

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.