Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "A. Gideonse" <ag...@planet.nl> on 2003/10/24 22:10:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache fails to do it's job properly

I used Apache 1.3.** for a long time, but two days ago it suddenly became a useless program after installing ZoneAlarm on my pc. I thought it was ZoneAlarm that blocked Apache so I removed it and installed Norton InternetSecurity (which I had before ZoneAlarm). After the installation Apache still didn't so I decided to reinstall it. I downloaded the newest version of Apache 2 and installed it. In the systray it now displays that Apache is running, but I'm still not able to view my pages. I don't think that it's my firewall which causes the problem, because if even I shut it down the problem is still the same. Anybody who can help to make Apache worth the diskspace again ;)?

Re: [users@httpd] Apache fails to do it's job properly

Posted by Mike Klein <mi...@sbcglobal.net>.
With the # of people using Apache successfully (& behind firewalls!),
and given it's general quality overall, etc. etc. you really should
think before phrasing your subject as you did.

You should've stated "I failed to do my job properly"...or "Problems
with apache behind firewall".

A simple test is to try a telnet to port 80 (not from the server running
apache) and see if telnet activates or hangs with no connection
available. You might also want to check your apache logs when trying to
request a page.

To paraphrase a recent saying "It's the firewall stupid".

ZoneAlarm is an excellent program and I have no problems using Apache
with it on my windows laptop (only for dev't purposes I assure
you...real stuff is run on Linux).

mike

Posted by "A. Gideonse" <ag...@planet.nl>.

Posted by Aaron Morris <aa...@mindspring.com>.

Posted by hunter <th...@sympatico.ca>.
On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 10:19, A. Gideonse wrote:
> I can view pages from the server (with localhost, 80.60.18.78 and
> 192.168.0.1 (ip on network)) and from computers on the local network (with
> 80.60.81.78 and 192.168.0.1). Seems like apache is running as an intranet
> server. Other users can't connect to my server on all those ip's. If I shut
> down my firewall then they still can't connect.
>
> I don't know what ip it is bound to, but it used to work with 80.60.18.78
> (my ip given by my isp).
>
> I uploaded my conf files, because the problem might be in there... You can
> find it on http://home.planet.nl/~gideo017/tempz/httpd.conf

Just a guess...

But my experience has shown that ServerName must be a proper Domain Name
to be Internet visable or the Internet IP address.  I get by with the
computername if WINS exists or NT can broadcast to resolve it. I have in
the past broken my Apache by putting an invalid name here - not setting
it at all use to work better than setting it wron (on Windows).

#
# ServerName gives the name and port that the server uses to identify itself.
# This can often be determined automatically, but we recommend you specify
# it explicitly to prevent problems during startup.
#
# If this is not set to valid DNS name for your host, server-generated
# redirections will not work.  See also the UseCanonicalName directive.
#
# If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its IP address here.
# You will have to access it by its address anyway, and this will make
# redirections work in a sensible way.
#
ServerName ArnoOnline

Re: [users@httpd] Apache fails to do it's job properly

Posted by "A. Gideonse" <ag...@planet.nl>.
Uninstalled older apache and deleted the files that remained in the
installation dir. After that I restarted, check for running apaches with
taskmanager (result was 0) and installed apache 2.
Port 80 is used by apache and is now also open with a permit rule in my
firewall:

Apache/2.0.47 (Win32) PHP/4.3.3 Server at 80.60.18.78 Port 80

However, my MySQL says that it is running on 192.168.0.1 (local network
adress).

Posted by Steven Pierce <pa...@speakeasy.net>.

Posted by "A. Gideonse" <ag...@planet.nl>.
Ping works

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Arno>ping yahoo.com

Pinging yahoo.com [66.218.71.198] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 66.218.71.198:

C:\Documents and Settings\Arno>ping 4.2.2.2

Pinging 4.2.2.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 4.2.2.2:

C:\Documents and Settings\Arno>

Posted by Steven Pierce <pa...@speakeasy.net>.

Posted by "A. Gideonse" <ag...@planet.nl>.
ZoneAlarm had detailed logs. If somebody can assure me that it works with
apache then I can install that one and use the logs in that firewall.

Posted by Steven Pierce <pa...@speakeasy.net>.
Jonas,

Posted by Steven Pierce <pa...@speakeasy.net>.
It is good to hear that you did get the server working again.  A "PROPER" server is
mainly based on the kind of environment that you are running.  A "personal" home
server would be config different the a server for Amazon.

I would suggest that you get a book on Apache and Security, that way you
can look at the Config files for your machine and what they give you
and make a decision from there.

Make sure that you have the current patchs that are available, and
that you have a good firewall on your machine.

Posted by "A. Gideonse" <ag...@planet.nl>.
Ok, I reinstalled my internet connection and the problem is gone. If I now
turn off my firewall then allmost all my ports are open or blocked (but not
stealthed).

A: Are you sure you have a static IP?
Yes, given by the ISP

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.

Posted by "A. Gideonse" <ag...@planet.nl>.
I just did a port scan on me from a security site and I turned my firewall
OFF. Result:

This port has not responded to any of our probes. It appears to be
completely stealthed.

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
A. Gideonse wrote:
> I'm not behind a NAT. This computer (server) is connected trough the
> internet directly with an ADSL modem. The other computers have
> internet through this computer.

This implies that you have (at least) two interfaces on your box. Are you
sure that you have configured Apache to listen on both interfaces? Also,
some software firewalls let you have per-interface configuration. Are you
sure your rules apply to the interface hooked to the ADSL modem?

Also, verify that your not running a second firewall, eg. Windows'
(built-in) Personal Firewall.

Regards,
Robert Andersson

Re: [users@httpd] Apache fails to do it's job properly

Posted by "A. Gideonse" <ag...@planet.nl>.
I'm not behind a NAT. This computer (server) is connected trough the
internet directly with an ADSL modem. The other computers have internet
through this computer. I didn't find any logs on those ports. I now have a
better log so I might be able to log more activity...

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.

Posted by "A. Gideonse" <ag...@planet.nl>.
Nope, no entries...

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.

Posted by "A. Gideonse" <ag...@planet.nl>.
I can't find the ip now, but that's probadly because I turned my computer
off after I sended my last email. Anyway: the next 12 hours it's on again.

Posted by "A. Gideonse" <ag...@planet.nl>.
I get a load of errormsgs about my email now, so I send this info for the
second time:

I had my computer off this night so I guess you're not in the logs.

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.

Posted by "A. Gideonse" <ag...@planet.nl>.

Posted by Steven Pierce <pa...@speakeasy.net>.
Jonas,

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.

> TCP Destination Port: 3849

Do you have any logs for destination port 80?

Can you find any entries for IP address 213.114.173.199 in your
firewall or Apache logs? I just tried to connect to 80.60.18.78:80
from that IP, so if the connection attempt ever reached your machine,
it should show in at least one of your logs.

> When I connect to my server with my own computer it says that my
> 'permit-rule' works:
[...]

Posted by "A. Gideonse" <ag...@planet.nl>.
> My ISP allows me to use a server. I did it for years and now
> suddenly after installing a new apache and firewall my server
> doesnt work anymore.

That "and firewall" might be important you know.

>>>I used Norton before and it worked fine with Apache, after installing
ZoneAlarm and the new apache my server didnt work anymore. So I installed
Norton again but it didnt help.

And: Have you checked that connections from the net really are
reaching your machine? Even if they have done so for years,
coincidences does happened and you ISP *might* have changed behaviour
at the same time as you changed your software (not probable, but easy
to check).

>>>No changes at my ISP.

Of course, you have allready checked your firewall logs for
connections to port 80. Did you find failed such connection attempts
in them?

>>> I have a lot of logs like this one:

Details: TCP non-syn/non-ack packet on invalid connection. Packet has been
dropped
Source IP address: 81.59.68.74
Destination IP address: ARNO_COMP-i1(80.60.18.78)
TCP Source Port: 1214
TCP Destination Port: 3849
TCP Message Flags: 0x00000010

When I connect to my server with my own computer it says that my
'permit-rule' works:
Details: Rule "Apache 80 Rule" permitted
(ARNO_COMP-i1(80.60.18.78),http(80))
Outbound TCP connection
Local address,service is (0.0.0.0,4510)
Remote address,service is (ARNO_COMP-i1(80.60.18.78),http(80))
Process name is "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

> My server was down the last few hours because nobody can use it
> right now, that's also the reason why you can't connect.

I thought you said noone could connect to it from outside you LAN,
even when it is up. Did I misunderstand something?

>>> Someone tried to connect after I changed my conf file because someone
told me that that might help. But my server was down, so the online check
would always fail (even if the server would be online again).

> Anyway, ill make a rule to
> permit communication and ill start my server again.

Try makiing a rule to permit receiving incoming connections from any
address.

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 18:15:57 +0200, A. Gideonse wrote:

> My ISP allows me to use a server. I did it for years and now
> suddenly after installing a new apache and firewall my server
> doesnt work anymore.

That "and firewall" might be important you know.

And: Have you checked that connections from the net really are
reaching your machine? Even if they have done so for years,
coincidences does happened and you ISP *might* have changed behaviour
at the same time as you changed your software (not probable, but easy
to check).

Of course, you have allready checked your firewall logs for
connections to port 80. Did you find failed such connection attempts
in them?

> My server was down the last few hours because nobody can use it
> right now, that's also the reason why you can't connect.

I thought you said noone could connect to it from outside you LAN,
even when it is up. Did I misunderstand something?

> Apache got the rights to have communication with the internet so
> the ports must be open.

Why must it be open?

Most firewalls distinguish between rights to connect to the oustide
world and rights to accept connections from the outside world. Have
you told your firewall to give Apache has the right to accept
connections from the Internet to port 80?

> Isn't it true that port 80 is by default open to view pages?

In most firewalls, yes. But also, in most firewalls port 80 is by
default closed for serving pages.

Remember, Apache does not request pages, it servers them. Apache does
not utilise prescience in order to connect to browsers that wants a
page, it sits silently and waits for *incoming* connections from
browsers.

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.

Posted by Steven Pierce <pa...@speakeasy.net>.

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 01:25:57 +0200, A. Gideonse wrote:

>> Does Apache's error logs (wich you hav, of course, allready

> No, only request from 80.60.18.78 (my ip) and PHP errors

Then it seems that the requests are never reaching Apache.

This is usually because one of:

a: Apache isn't listening on that IP address. This has allready been
ruled as other machines in your LAN can connect to that 80.60.18.78.

b: Apache isn't listening on that port. Also ruled out obviously.

c: Something else is blocking the requests, or the machine's simply
not reachable on that address.

> (normal regular errors in PHP)

> > > find it on http://home.planet.nl/~gideo017/tempz/httpd.conf
> updated it to the current settings

Still can't see anything in the config file that could result in this
problem.

If you're sure it's Apache and not something else causing the
problem, you should set the LogLevel to report more stuff and check
the logs again after making sure someone outside your LAN has
requested something for the server.

Regards
/Jonas

Posted by "A. Gideonse" <ag...@planet.nl>.
Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:19:00 +0200, A. Gideonse wrote:

> I can view pages from the server (with localhost, 80.60.18.78 and
> 192.168.0.1 (ip on network)) and from computers on the local
> network (with 80.60.81.78 and 192.168.0.1).

Then why're you saying that Apache isn't doing it's job properly?
Obviously Apache is answering requests from other machines.

Does Apache's error logs (wich you hav, of course, allready checked)
list any failed requests? Do they list *any* requests from machines
outside your local networks?

> Seems like apache is running as an intranet server.

Apache doesn't know what an Intranet is. It only knows about HTTP
requests/replies, local filesystem and interned addresses (IP and
domain). It cannot automatically see the diffrerence between adresses
on your local network and adresses outside it.

You can, however, manually limit Apache to not serve requests from
any adress.

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.

Posted by Jeanne Marie Hardin <jm...@hardincomp.port5.com>.
Aaron said:
But I'm the only one who can view the content. Other visitors still
can't...

Jeanne Marie replies:
It definitely sounds like a firewall or proxy issue to me. What is the
error they're getting when they can't see your site? If you want to
email me offlist with the address to check I can take a look at it from
my comp.

----------
Jeanne Marie Hardin
HardinComp
(617) 988-5586
http://HardinComp.port5.com/

"Decisions are made by those who show up."
-President Josiah Bartlett
 The West Wing, in the episode "What Kind of Day It Has Been"
 http://westwing.bewarne.com/

Re: [users@httpd] Apache fails to do it's job properly

Posted by "A. Gideonse" <ag...@planet.nl>.
Well I did unintstall older apache versions but in the directory c:\apache I
still found apache stuff which wasnt removed. I deleted them, but I guess
that some other apache stuff did remain in system folders and stuff like
that. I've now installed apache 2 and with some changes in the conf file
(made port 80 instead of 8080) I was able to see the content of my server.
But I'm the only one who can view the content. Other visitors still can't...