Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by George Carrette <Ge...@iacnet.com> on 1997/09/17 17:38:43 UTC

Re: Benchmarking packages?

The  http://people.delphi.com/gjc/siod.html package
comes with a crude but effective http-stress script I wrote in May of 1995
at Newscorp for stress testing what became http://www.tvguide.com

I can't say it is designed for benchmarking so much as stress testing
for QA and capacity planning purposes.

Here is the first part of the manual page:

NAME
     http-stress - simple http parallel client  for  http  server
     stress measurements.

SYNOPSIS
     http-stress    [:verify=true]     [:port=80]     [:forks=5] [:sleep=0]
     [:cycles=5] [:sleep=0] [host] [url1] [url2] [...]

DESCRIPTION
     http-stress is a simple http  command-client  which  fetches
     randomly  selected urls from the host specified. The program
     creates parallel  client  forks  where  each  client  cycles
     through the specified number of times.

So the easy call to invoke the command is say:

http-stress www.apache.org

I continue to use this same old script, years later, and would be
very interested in how it works out for other people.