Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/09 15:03:36 UTC

Split off OSGi?

Hi all,

Today some people want to slice and dice log4j 2 into ever finer OSGI bundles. Tomorrow, people will want to do the same with whatever Oracle comes up with in project Jigsaw. Some people don't care for OSGi support.

This is bound to be a big mess.

Therefore I'd like to propose to split off OSGi and later Jigsaw into a separate project(s). This way people who care about OSGi can do all that they need without polluting the main log4j project with dozens of Maven modules.

Thoughts?
Gary

Re: Split off OSGi?

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I would propose that we do the same thing I suggested with the Stream support - move it to a branch until it is ready.  Ideally the branch should only have what is needed for OSGi and not all of Log4j.  Also, I have no problems making changes such as moving classes around in support of OSGi, just not adding more jars.

I am wondering if it wouldn’t be a good idea to have two log4j projects - one for the kernel, which would include all of the “fundamental” appenders, layouts, filters, etc, and a second for things like the Flume Appender, NoSQL Appenders, etc.

I’m worried that we are starting to throw too much into the main project, but I don’t want to stop development that helps people integrate with other things.

Ralph

Re: Split off OSGi?

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Re: Split off OSGi?