Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net> on 2013/03/05 20:35:00 UTC

[Discuss] Should this old FAQ around distribution of a JRE with AOO b migrated?

Greetings all;

I find myself in need of the collected wisdom of the community on
whether to prune one of the FAQ's from the web site or to take the axe
to it completely.

The FAQ in question is located here;
http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/faq-overview.html#11, and has to do with
the distribution of the Java JRE with a commercial distribution of
OpenOffice.

Given that there are certain dependencies of AOO on Java one part of me
thinks that some heavy pruning and wording such as /this is an issue
best decided between you and your legal representative and point them to
links to both the Java License and the ALV2.

The more conservative part of me says the interaction between the two
licenses creates a minefield that is best avoided by cutting it altogether.

I would apprecate any and all thoughts on the matter.

Regards
Keith

Re: [Discuss] Should this old FAQ around distribution of a JRE with AOO b migrated?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Keith N. McKenna
<ke...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> I find myself in need of the collected wisdom of the community on whether to
> prune one of the FAQ's from the web site or to take the axe to it
> completely.
>
> The FAQ in question is located here;
> http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/faq-overview.html#11, and has to do with the
> distribution of the Java JRE with a commercial distribution of OpenOffice.
>
> Given that there are certain dependencies of AOO on Java one part of me
> thinks that some heavy pruning and wording such as /this is an issue best
> decided between you and your legal representative and point them to links to
> both the Java License and the ALV2.
>
> The more conservative part of me says the interaction between the two
> licenses creates a minefield that is best avoided by cutting it altogether.
>
> I would apprecate any and all thoughts on the matter.

There is nothing in the Apache License that would prevent someone from
bundling a JRE with a distribution of Apache OpenOffice.  But we're
not the experts on what Oracle's licensing requirements are.  So I
don't think we should try to answer that question.  Maybe just remove
that FAQ altogether?

Another way of thinking about it:  If we have not seen a question in
the last 12 months, on the list, or on the forum, then is it really
"frequent"?

-Rob