Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Rick <cr...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/29 15:14:24 UTC

Compiling from java root

Just want to make sure I understand the consequences of compiling from
the java root with -Pall.  As I understand it this shouldn't be an issue
and all should compile and test. The only consequence now is that the
projects under sca/kernel will not be used by the other projects for the
build and mvn unit test.

If working on the kernel I need to really do nothing different for
eclipse, except that it probable makes sense to have a separate
workspace for the kernel if I'm also working on some of the other
Tuscany parts.

Working on components other than the kernel, I need to import into
Eclipse only those projects  not under sca/kernel and to debug the
kernel code import the code under branches\pre-spec-changes.

Re: Compiling from java root

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
On Jan 30, 2007, at 9:44 AM, kelvin goodson wrote:

> Jeremy,
>  thanks for your reply.  A key time when this has become an issue
> for me is
> when applying patches.  My general process has been to ensure I have a
> complete clean svn extraction,  build it to see if there are any
> current
> issues in the trunk,  inspect and apply the patch and build it
> again.  If
> there are deltas in the error sets (hopefully the initial build's
> error set
> was empty) then there's an issue with the patch.
Shouldn't this be done using unit and integration tests, and not
against the entire trunk? For example, particular extensions may
reference different versions of SDO. I would imagine we need to be
able to accommodate a patch introducing API changes for a later
version than one referenced by a particular extension.

> This has meant in the past
> often even small patches still take an hour or so to apply.
Isn't that a problem in itself?
> Now that the
> trunk has significantly less chance of  being stable this has become
> unworkable.

It has been my experience that the previous build structure was
unworkable since it did not allow extensions to evolve independently.
Solving this issue by modularizing unfortunately means  an upstream
module cannot make assumptions about downstream modules, for example,
that they reference HEAD or a particular version and will compile
against it. The best solutions I have seen in the past to this
problem is extensive unit and integration tests in the upstream
module. If these are done right, it should be trivial to apply small
patches since they can be verified by the current build run.

Jim

Re: Compiling from java root

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Jan 30, 2007, at 9:44 AM, kelvin goodson wrote:

> Jeremy,
>  thanks for your reply.  A key time when this has become an issue
> for me is
> when applying patches.  My general process has been to ensure I have a
> complete clean svn extraction,  build it to see if there are any
> current
> issues in the trunk,  inspect and apply the patch and build it
> again.  If
> there are deltas in the error sets (hopefully the initial build's
> error set
> was empty) then there's an issue with the patch.  This has meant in
> the past
> often even small patches still take an hour or so to apply. Now
> that the
> trunk has significantly less chance of  being stable this has become
> unworkable.

Agreed. Sounds like the issue here though is that there is
insufficient test coverage in SDO so check whether or not a patch was
good. If SDO operates on the principle that its build is good
(including running tests as part of that build), then you can take a
working copy, apply the patch, rebuild and have confidence that the
build will remain good. That's very workable.

If something downstream breaks unexpectedly then it indicates that
there is a hole in the test coverage i.e. that downstream code was
doing something not clearly defined in the API contract. This is a
great opportunity to improve the API coverage to clarify this
interaction and either document the behvaiour (meaning the downstream
code needs to use the API correctly) or fix the implementation bug it
exposed.

> BTW, I saw that you posted a new snapshot of SDO a couple of days
> ago.  I
> wasn't sure how best to choose when to post a new snapshot or how to
> communicate an imminent update.  Is there a best practice for
> choosing when
> and how to deploy new snapshots?

In general, anyone should be able to redeploy a SNAPSHOT at any time
- some communities even do it automatically, say nightly. They are,
by definition, unstable versions. IIRC I did it because something was
trying to use SDO and either couldn't find the right version or had
problems with the online version.

--
Jeremy

Re: Compiling from java root

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.
Jeremy,
[...]

Best Regards, Kelvin.

On 30/01/07, Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> wrote:

> Rick just about covers it.
>
> The key thing is that downstream dependencies should be depending on
> SDO's published APIs and to avoid disruption to users you really
> don't want to be making incompatible changes to those APIs. Ideally
> there would be tests that exercised those APIs and you could rely on
> those to catch changes that break things.

  I don't think that my concern was with instability with the SDO API,  but
rather the implementation. It was the execution of the dependent project's
test cases that were adding information. The 2.1 API has been in place for a
while and unchanging,  but some of the features not implemented.  We are
expanding the test set within the build,  and of course the community test
suite is developing well,  but neither are yet at a stage where they give me
full confidence changes to the implementation don't cause adverse effects.

Relying on other modules in Tuscany to do this is a bad idea as they
> are likely only to exercise part of the SDO APIs. Even if they do
> break and you fix them, what about other code outside Tuscany?

Indeed,  that's why I said that running a full build gave me a "warm
feeling".  Running the tests alone is  clearly a prereq,  but there was
additional benefit in running the full build.  Agreed there's lots of code
running outside the Tuscany build,  but its not low hanging fruit for
increasing my state of confidence that a change has not introduced a bug.

Regarding the tools, there was talk in the past about moving them to

Re: Compiling from java root

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
Rick just about covers it.

Re: Compiling from java root

Posted by Rick <cr...@gmail.com>.
Kevin,

Re: Compiling from java root

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: Compiling from java root

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
I added this to FAQ (
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/Tuscany+SCA+-+FAQ)

Please update the link if additional info needs to be added.

Re: Compiling from java root

Posted by Rick <cr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Compiling from java root

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.