Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de> on 2008/01/02 08:16:38 UTC

Re: Where to put large generated things for our website to access

Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> subversion really is the way to go for release documentation

OK, so as far as I understand we go with the documentation the same way
as with the previous Apache UIMA releases. We check in the documentation
to SVN and provide a download similar to release 2.2.0-incubating:

http://incubator.apache.org/uima/downloads/releaseDocs/2.2.0-incubating/docs/html/index.html

The JavaDocs will also go to SVN in both versions, HTML and zip.

I can do the necessary changes, if all agree on that.

-- Michael

Re: Where to put large generated things for our website to access

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 2, 2008 4:05 PM, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Since we want our docs pages to refer not only to the "current release"
> but also previous releases, it would be good to figure out a fairly
> automatic system for this.  (That was a virtue of the /dist/ - archive
> system - we could point the previous releases doc links to a directory
> containing all the releases, and wouldn't need to update this link for
> subsequent releases).
>
> The other thing to do is to figure out how to keep the archived things
> on our web-site.  It was suggested that we should do this like we handle
> the web-site checkout.
> Probably the straight-forward thing to do is to have a special directory
> where all the docs we want to refer to live, have the archive link point
> there, and have special links that refer to the "current version".

probably better to use a symbolic link rather than a .htaccess

> As I recall, the web-site, itself, is replicated to other servers (since
> after you update it , you  have to wait a while for it to appear).

yep

> I have to confess that this seems quite wasteful of disk resources
> (double+ copies of things like javadocs - one in SVN, one on
> people.apache.org in our web-site place, and maybe (several?) additional
> copies on web-servers used for incubator.apache.org/uima).

disc's cheap :-)

bandwidth and server load are usually the most important factors

AIUI having lots of duplicates allows low downtime. even if minotaur
takes a tumble, ajax is able to step up almost immediately.

> But Robert Donkin suggested this was the best way.

i talked it over the the infra team and their strong recommendation
was to store in svn and then checkout onto the website

- robert

Re: Where to put large generated things for our website to access

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Michael Baessler wrote:
> Marshall Schor wrote:
>> Michael Baessler wrote:

>>> OK, so as far as I understand we go with the documentation the same
>>> way as with the previous Apache UIMA releases. We check in the
>>> documentation
>>> to SVN and provide a download similar to release 2.2.0-incubating:
>>>
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/uima/downloads/releaseDocs/2.2.0-incubating/docs/html/index.html
>>>

>>> The JavaDocs will also go to SVN in both versions, HTML and zip.
>>>
>>> I can do the necessary changes, if all agree on that.
>>>
>>> -- Michael
>>>

>> +1.
>>
>> Also - remove the docs from /dist/incubator/uima
>>
>> -Marshall
>>
> Should we really remove the documentation from there. I think other
> projects also have the documentation there. So I think we should
> provide it too, maybe as one package to download.?
>
> -- Michael
This one is a judgement call - I can see arguments on both sides.

We've heard that the "rsync" mechanism handles small numbers of large
files better than large numbers of small files - so putting only the 1
archive file to download seems a better fit, if we do this.

Putting them in /dist/ means they will be mirrored, and archived.  So we
will have dual archiving (one in SVN, and one in the archive spot).

The mirroring would be useful *if* we expected a large load on the
apache servers for downloading these.  I think this will not be the
case.  Most of the time I use these to send people links to specific
sections of the docs; for that it would be annoying if when they clicked
the link, they were asked to pick a mirror.

Considering all of this - I'm slightly in favor of keeping the docs just
in SVN, and not on the /dist/ mirroring system.

------------
Some more things to think about
------------

Posted by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de>.

Posted by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de>.
Marshall Schor wrote:
> Michael Baessler wrote:
>
>> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>>
>>> subversion really is the way to go for release documentation
>>>

>> OK, so as far as I understand we go with the documentation the same
>> way as with the previous Apache UIMA releases. We check in the
>> documentation
>> to SVN and provide a download similar to release 2.2.0-incubating:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/uima/downloads/releaseDocs/2.2.0-incubating/docs/html/index.html
>>

>> The JavaDocs will also go to SVN in both versions, HTML and zip.
>>
>> I can do the necessary changes, if all agree on that.
>>
>> -- Michael
>>

> +1.
>
> Also - remove the docs from /dist/incubator/uima
>
> -Marshall

Changes are done. Please review.

-- Michael

Re: Where to put large generated things for our website to access

Posted by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de>.
Marshall Schor wrote:
> Michael Baessler wrote:
>
>> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>>
>>> subversion really is the way to go for release documentation
>>>

>> OK, so as far as I understand we go with the documentation the same
>> way as with the previous Apache UIMA releases. We check in the
>> documentation
>> to SVN and provide a download similar to release 2.2.0-incubating:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/uima/downloads/releaseDocs/2.2.0-incubating/docs/html/index.html
>>

>> The JavaDocs will also go to SVN in both versions, HTML and zip.
>>
>> I can do the necessary changes, if all agree on that.
>>
>> -- Michael
>>

> +1.
>
> Also - remove the docs from /dist/incubator/uima
>
> -Marshall

Docs deleted from /dist/incubator/uima

-- Michael

Re: Where to put large generated things for our website to access

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.