Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2014/07/31 14:12:25 UTC

How to speed up testing using BVT/smoke tests with Simulator

Hi,

Santosh put together a good wiki page on how to validate local changes using our Python/marvin based build verification tests (path: test/integration/smoke): https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Validating+check-ins+for+your+local+changes%2C+using+Simulator

I’ve a mini PC for this and using CloudStack 4.4.0 to build/test CloudStack 4.4/master branch on it in a VM. Some of us are also exploring free/cheap CI services such as Travis, CloudBees etc. which can be used by developers to test their check-ins. If anyone of you have tried something like this please share.

This is how I build CloudStack for validating with simulator:
    mvn -Pdeveloper -Dsimulator clean install
    mvn -Pdeveloper -pl developer -Ddeploydb
    mvn -Pdeveloper -pl developer -Ddeploydb-simulator
    mvn -pl client jetty:run -Dsimulator

And finally run smoke tests (BVT):
nosetests --with-marvin --marvin-config=setup/dev/advanced.cfg --with-xunit --xunit-file=/tmp/bvt_selfservice_cases.xml -a tags=advanced,required_hardware=false -w test/integration/smoke --hypervisor=simulator

It currently took 50 mins on my setup. How can we speed it up, say by reducing global variable timeout settings etc? Should we reduce timeouts etc. in deploydb-simulator specific sql files?

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +41 779015219 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: How to speed up testing using BVT/smoke tests with Simulator

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Ian,

Thanks for catching that, I’ve fixed it on master and 4.4 now using insert on duplicate update syntax.

b157104563d2d30ede7bfabe2df8cf42d3dadb1d master
9315321dacc877e67279b3b59b6b2e08d125ddbe 4.4

Posted by Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie>.
Rohit,

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.