Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Murray Collingwood <mu...@focus-computing.com.au> on 2005/11/11 05:41:49 UTC

Re: [OT] where does Java Studio from Sun fit in the picture

Hi all

I've just been through the demos below and the Java Studio looks a lot like NetBeans.
I'm now assuming that this is just two products from the same cloth, Sun Java Studio
Enterprise 8 == NetBeans 5, is this correct?

The Studio Creator product looks neat but from the screen shots I could only see JSF
related stuff.  I'm assuming a lot but Craig's comment below would indicate the whole
thing is Shale aware, is this assumption also correct?

PS What's the difference between downloading NetBeans (been free for ages) and Sun
Java Studio Enterprise (which has only just become free)?  Can somebody enlighten
me?

Cheers
mc

On 10 Nov 2005 at 4:41, Craig McClanahan wrote:

> On 11/10/05, Christian Bollmeyer <ja...@christianbollmeyer.de> wrote:
> >
> > Just to add that Sun is offering both Java Studio Enterprise 8
> > and Java Studio Creator for free now,
> >
> > http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/javatools/free/
>

> Yep ... the new policy was announced at JavaOne Tokyo (where I am right now,
> having just presented on both Creator and Shale). It's not a one time promo,
> or related to EA and beta releases only ... this is the future.
>
> -- Ch.
>

> Craig

FOCUS Computing - web design
Mob: 0415 24 26 24
murray@focus-computing.com.au
http://www.focus-computing.com.au

Re: [OT] where does Java Studio from Sun fit in the picture

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 11/10/05, Murray Collingwood <mu...@focus-computing.com.au> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I've just been through the demos below and the Java Studio looks a lot
> like NetBeans.
> I'm now assuming that this is just two products from the same cloth, Sun
> Java Studio
> Enterprise 8 == NetBeans 5, is this correct?

Enterprise 8 == NetBeans + a bunch of stuff (2-way UML modelling, profiling,
...)

The Studio Creator product looks neat but from the screen shots I could only
> see JSF
> related stuff. I'm assuming a lot but Craig's comment below would indicate
> the whole
> thing is Shale aware, is this assumption also correct?

Creator is physically based on NetBeans code, but adds modules that are very
much focused on JSF based development. Because Shale is also focused on JSF,
Creator and Shale can coexist (hasn't been tested much yet, will be more
later).

PS What's the difference between downloading NetBeans (been free for ages)
> and Sun
> Java Studio Enterprise (which has only just become free)? Can somebody
> enlighten
> me?

See above.

Cheers