Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tom Tu <To...@bamco.com> on 2003/11/10 18:48:26 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache Update

Hi,

Objective: Update my apache from 2.0.40 to 2.0.48.

I have installed a fresh copy of Redhat 8 which by default has Apache
2.0.40.  I have downloaded the latest tar version of apache which is 2.0.48.

I am having problems updating my apache version.  If I specify a different
directory to update my current apache, it does not work correctly.  When I
do a httpd -v it still shows the old version running.  I tried mv the
location which is /var/www and letting apache install a fresh copy but it
still does not work.

The only time Apache 2.0.48 works is when I install it with the default
configuration which goes to /usr/local/apache2?

I currently have apache 2.0.40 stopped and have apache 2.0.48 running at
location /usr/local/apache2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Update

Posted by Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>.
Tom Tu wrote:

> Objective: Update my apache from 2.0.40 to 2.0.48.
>
> I have installed a fresh copy of Redhat 8 which by default has Apache
> 2.0.40.  I have downloaded the latest tar version of apache which is 2.0.48.

I think your problem is that the RedHat version of Apache is quite
different than the vanilla Apache tarball configuration, in terms of how
things are laid out and various patches.  I'd say your best bet is to
stick to Redhat RPM packages, or accept the Apache default location in
/usr/local and forego any Redhat specific features.  Try downloading the
RPM source package if you want to compile it, as this will have all the
RedHat-specific config options and directory structure.  You could also
just install a binary if you meet all the dependencies:
<http://rpmseek.com/rpm/httpd-2.0.47-10.i386.html?hl=com&cs=httpd:PN:0:0:1:0:934365>

Brian

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Update

Posted by Luis Gallegos <lg...@todo1.com>.
The problem that you have when you run httpd -v is caused by your PATH
environment variable ( it is not an apache problem).
In this case, you should run apache using the path for your
installation. Examples:
1.To see your new apache bin type:
/path/to/your/new/install/bin/httpd -v

2. To run your new apache:
/path/to/your/new/install/bin/apachectl start

To run httpd without /all/the/path/of/installation change your PATH
environment variable in /etc/profile to:
PATH=$PATH:/path/to/your/new/install/bin

	Luis