Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Vignesh Balasubramanian <vi...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/05 18:17:44 UTC

Getting Axis Fault - NullPointerException while sending an response back from Drools Guvnor using web services

Hi,

I have defined a set of rules using DSL and corresponding rules in Drools
Guvnor (Rules Engine) and I have tested the same using a standalone code
which is working fine.

But when I tried invoking the same from a web service by passing the request
parameters and I had the business logic in the skeleton by including this
guvnor project as a JAR and used the method in it for my implementation, I
was able to get the desired output out of the Guvnor rule engine in the
skeleton and i had set the response in the response class from it and
returning back the response to the client, while doing so Im getting a
NullPointerException.

I had used Axis 2 codegen and service archiver plugins to generate the
skeleton and stubs out of the WSDL and did the above logic and i had
deployed the service using both axis2 1.4.1 and 1.5.1 as well.

Below is the exception stack I got in server side,

ERROR - AxisServlet.doPost(172) |
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.axis2.clustering.context.DefaultContextManager.updateContexts(DefaultContextManager.java:81)
        at
org.apache.axis2.clustering.context.Replicator.replicate(Replicator.java:81)
        at
org.apache.axis2.receivers.AbstractMessageReceiver.replicateState(AbstractMessageReceiver.java:71)
        at
org.apache.axis2.receivers.AbstractInOutMessageReceiver.invokeBusinessLogic(AbstractInOutMessageReceiver.java:41)
        at
org.apache.axis2.receivers.AbstractMessageReceiver.receive(AbstractMessageReceiver.java:100)
        at org.apache.axis2.engine.AxisEngine.receive(AxisEngine.java:176)
        at
org.apache.axis2.transport.http.HTTPTransportUtils.processHTTPPostRequest(HTTPTransportUtils.java:275)
        at
org.apache.axis2.transport.http.AxisServlet.doPost(AxisServlet.java:133)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:637)
        at
        at
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:298)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:852)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process
Http11Protocol.java:588)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

And the below is the exception stack in client side,

org.apache.axis2.AxisFault: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.axis2.util.Utils.getInboundFaultFromMessageContext(Utils.java:512)
        at
org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.handleResponse(OutInAxisOperation.java:370)
        at
org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.send(OutInAxisOperation.java:416)
        at
org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.executeImpl(OutInAxisOperation.java:228)
        at
org.apache.axis2.client.OperationClient.execute(OperationClient.java:163)
        at org.tempuri.Service1Stub.CheckEntitlement(Service1Stub.java:740)
        at ws.client.testClient.main(testClient.java:73)

If any one has faced similar issue and fixed the same, please help me out it
resolving the same or any pointers for fixing this issue would be of greater
helpful.

Thanks,
Vignesh