Posted to dev@apisix.apache.org by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org> on 2021/01/21 07:55:25 UTC

[DISCUSS] Only maintain English documents

hello, devs,
APISIX was originally donated to the Apache Foundation by Chinese company
and developers, so both Chinese and English documents are maintained.

Now with the rapid growth of features and contributors, maintaining two
documents at the same time will bring additional work to contributors.

So I propose to maintain only English documents and discard Chinese
documents.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ming Wen, Apache APISIX PMC Chair
Twitter: _WenMing

Re: [DISCUSS] Only maintain English documents

Posted by Zhiyuan Ju <ju...@apache.org>.
Agree, and apisix-dashboard now only has documentation in English. But we
should also make it more clear and easy to understand.

Best Regards!
@ Zhiyuan Ju <https://www.shaoyaoju.org/>

Ming Wen <we...@apache.org> 于2021年1月21日周四 下午3:55写道:

Posted by Zhiyuan Ju <ju...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Could we make sure the English docs are correct, reliable, up-to-date, and
easy to learn first? For other languages, our
community's contributors could help to maintain them.

BTW, our doc site is in the process to build, once it's done, our docs will
be more clear to read and search.

Best Regards!
@ Zhiyuan Ju <https://github.com/juzhiyuan>

tison <wa...@gmail.com> 于2021年1月22日周五 下午12:00写道:

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Here is my two coins.

1. Chinese document, considering the overhead of maintenance, is not
necessary for
a rapid growing community. This part my opinion is the same as Sheng's
comments.

2. However, international documentation, not only the Chinese one, is a
good community
resource to have. Modern translation methods are far more beyond Google
translation but
workflows based on gettext and other tools[1]. Moreover, there are
communities passion to
translate cutting-edge knowledge into their homeland language such as
LCTT[2] and L10N[3].
The benefits of new methods and community partner are as below.

1). Modern toolchain helps to resolve the problem document out of sync.
Most of workflows
have their way to choose a main version(e.g., the English version) and mark
derived version
as out of date if the corresponding content in main version changed.
2). Modern toolchain & workflow looses the burden to locate a page to be
translated and do it
in one pass, which helps when community throughput is temporarily lack.
3). We the community doesn't have to maintain the documentation indeed in
another view. Building
ecosystem and gaining helps with those who passion for it is a good
alternation. Of course then we
mark the documentation contributed by the team for their credit and note it
not produced by
APISIX officially.

Best,
tison.