Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Bartholomew Job <an...@bankofamerica.com> on 2008/08/06 15:56:06 UTC

Unable to connect to remote machine

Hi,

When I try this

ij> connect 'jdbc:derby://147.xx.xx.xx:1527/myDB';

I get the following error

ij> ERROR 08001: java.net.ConnectException : Error connecting to server
147.xx.xx.xx on port 1527 with message Connection refused: connect.

I have created a derby.properties file in the server derby.system.home
directory and have it populated with

derby.drda.host=0.0.0.0 and also tried giving clients ip address

Could any one please help ?

Regards,

Bartholomew Job Anandam

Asst Systems Engineer

Tata Consultancy Services

Shollinganalur

Chennai

India -600119

Re: Unable to connect to remote machine

Posted by John Embretsen <Jo...@Sun.COM>.
Bartholomew Job wrote:
> Also could you please let me know wat it means to create the derby.properties
> file in the format created by the java.util.Properties.save method

Create a properties object in a Java application, with some test
properties (e.g props.setProperty("derby.drda.host", "0.0.0.0")). Then
use the save() or store() method to write the properties to a file. Then
take a look at the resulting file to learn the format.
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/Properties.html

Anyway, using the format
property=value
(one property per line) should work.

> and how
> to make the server to listen ,eliminating the possibility that a
firewall is
> blocking ??

Some other tips that might help debugging:

- are you able to ping the server host from the client host?
- are you sure the Derby server is running?
- are you able to connect to the Derby server from the localhost (server
host)?
- if you are using Derby 10.4, use JMX/JConsole/VisualVM and Derby's
built-in NetworkServerMBean to verify which properties are recognized by
the server. See http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyJMXQuickStart

--
John

Re: Unable to connect to remote machine

Posted by Bartholomew Job <an...@bankofamerica.com>.
Also could you please let me know wat it means to create the derby.properties
file in the format created by the java.util.Properties.save method and how

Posted by Bartholomew Job <an...@bankofamerica.com>.
I suppose its within a fire wall.. but is there no way out ? and both the
client and remote machine however reside within the same local network...

Posted by Barry van Someren <go...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Are you absolutely positive there is no firewall blocking you?
Connection refused usually implies either there is nothing there
listening or the connection is being blocked outright by a firewall.

Regards,

Barry

--
Barry van Someren