Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Behrang Saeedzadeh <be...@gmail.com> on 2005/02/24 22:02:18 UTC

Automated deployment best practices

Hi

When I work locally, I turn on hot deployment and then create a WAR
file automatically using Ant and then copy this file to
%CATALINA_HOME%/webapps and Tomcat redeploys my application
automatically.

But when I want to deploy my application to a production server, which
is Windows based, I first login to the system using Remote Desktop
then stop the J2EE server (which is actually JRun4.) After that I
create the WAR file and FTP it to a directory on the prod. server, say
FTPHome. As we FTP different things to the server I cannot make the
FTPHome to be the same directory at which I deploy my webapp. (Can I
create a user, say Tomcat, and configure the FTPHome for this user to
be the deployment dir? If the answer to this question is yes, is this
an acceptable method?)

Then I copy the WAR file to the deployment directory, again using
Remote Desktop, and restart JRun4...

This is very painful.

Does anybody know a best practice for deploying a Webapp to Tomcat?

Best Regards,
--

Behrang Saeedzadeh
http://www.jroller.com/page/behrangsa