Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> on 2008/03/16 22:20:07 UTC

IPageLink Interface...

Is there any chance that we can rename this?  IPageLink is a bit
confusing.  You're creating a PageLink, but passing an IPageLink into
it.  How about if we call it IPageProvider or IPageFactory or
something?  That's really what it's doing.  To avoid breaking API, I
would suggest:

1.  Create IPageProvider (or whatever) interface with the exact same
methods as IPageLink.
2.  Take method declarations out of IPageLink and have it extend IPageProvider.
3.  Make PageLink's constructor take an IPageProvider instead.  I
think applications will need to be recompiled against the new
hierarchy.
3.  Deprecate IPageLink so that it can be removed in a future release.

Thoughts?

Re: IPageLink Interface...

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
linksTo() is also available on Link, so there is no need for PageLink IMO.

Martijn

On 3/16/08, Maurice Marrink <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From a Wicket-Security point of view i like the PageLink and IPageLink
>  because it knows what pageclass is going to be instantiated and can
>  use that to check permissions.
>  If i were to use Link i would have to make that information somehow
>  available in another way. Although i would not mind if IPageLink gets
>  renamed.
>

>  Maurice
>

>  On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 11:16 PM, James Carman
>  <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
>  > On 3/16/08, Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  > my thought on this is to deprecate PageLink entirely, or at least the
>  >  >  entire IPageLink deal in case someone wants to have a add(new
>  >  >  PageLink("link", mypageinstance) construct.
>  >  >
>  >  >  pagelink itself provides very little value, nothing a
>  >  >  BookmarkablePageLink or Link cannot do easily or better
>  >  >
>  >
>  >  Even better! :)  I was trying to figure out how to tell folks to use
>  >  PageLink rather than BookMarkablePageLink, especially since the
>  >  version that takes a Page instance is deprecated.  I think I'll
>  >  completely remove PageLink from my presentation.
>  >

Apache Wicket 1.3.2 is released
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.3.2

Re: IPageLink Interface...

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, let's just kill PageLink for WNG. Deprecate it in 1.3.x, kill it
altogether for WNG.

Martijn

Re: IPageLink Interface...

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
not really, because securelink wont live in the core project and so
wont be as discoverable

-igor

Re: IPageLink Interface...

Posted by Maurice Marrink <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: IPageLink Interface...

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: IPageLink Interface...

Posted by Maurice Marrink <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: IPageLink Interface...

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: IPageLink Interface...

Posted by Maurice Marrink <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: IPageLink Interface...

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: IPageLink Interface...

Posted by Maurice Marrink <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: IPageLink Interface...

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
i thought we already moved it into extensions, but now i realize that
was in the defunct 2.0 branch only...mind creating a jira to move it
in 1.4?

-igor

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 3:16 PM, James Carman

Re: IPageLink Interface...

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: IPageLink Interface...

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
my thought on this is to deprecate PageLink entirely, or at least the
entire IPageLink deal in case someone wants to have a add(new
PageLink("link", mypageinstance) construct.

pagelink itself provides very little value, nothing a
BookmarkablePageLink or Link cannot do easily or better

-igor

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 2:20 PM, James Carman