Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by T Master <tm...@iknowledgeinc.com> on 2001/10/18 00:43:10 UTC

Null Priority obtained from Category. Bug?

Problem:  Obtain an instance of a Category (defined in file with level) with
a null Priority.

My config file (properties) contains:
    log4j.category.USER.Category1=INFO

I obtained this by using :
Code:
            Category c = userHierarchy.getInstance("USER.Category1");
            System.out.println("category1 obtained was...."+c.getName());
            System.out.println("category1 priority is...."+c.getPriority());

            Category cat = Category.getInstance("tester");
            System.out.println("category2 obtained was...."+cat.getName());
            System.out.println("category2 priority
is...."+cat.getPriority());

Output:

    category1 obtained was....USER.Category1
    category1 priority is....null.
    category2 obtained was....tester
    category2 priority is....null.

However, I have tried using a Category name of:
"log4j.category.USER.Category1", with same result.

Read the following:
public static Category getInstance(String name)
  Retrieve a category with named as the name parameter. If the named
category already exists, then the existing instance will be reutrned.
Otherwise, a new instance is created. By default, categories do not have a
set priority but inherit it from the hierarchy. This is one of the central
features of log4j.
    Parameters:
    name - The name of the category to retrieve

I am creating my Hierarchy object like so:
        userHierarchy = new Hierarchy( Category.getInstance("USER") );

If a Hierarchy is created with a Category that has no defined
Priority/Level, then what is the default?

Regards,

T Master

Re: Null Priority obtained from Category. Bug?

Posted by T Master <tm...@iknowledgeinc.com>.
Counting...
Three seconds to load Category.java and see:

  final Hierarchy defaultHierarchy = new Hierarchy(new
         RootCategory(Priority.DEBUG));

A RootCategory is guarenteed a *not* null Priority.

So.... my thinking and understanding it to use this for my own Hierarchy.
"The root category names itself as "root". ".  Then work on creating a
Category called "USER" elsewhere.

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch>.

Ceki Gülcü - http://qos.ch
Link of the day: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A63884-2001Oct15.html

Re: Null Priority obtained from Category. Bug?

Posted by T Master <tm...@iknowledgeinc.com>.