Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Oscar Westra van Holthe - Kind <os...@westravanholthe.nl> on 2021/11/02 16:08:08 UTC

Re: New website

Hi,

This is a huge improvement. Responsive, excellent navigation, syntax
highlighting, ...

The only downside I see was already mentioned by Lee: the landing page is
too empty (also in a mobile browser).
I think we could really benefit from mentioning the unique selling point of
Avro here: "Your Data. Any Time, Anywhere." And then mention the language
availability & excellent schema evolution.

Kind regards,
Oscar

Re: New website

Posted by Ryan Skraba <ry...@skraba.com>.
Just a quick update -- we merged the current state of the website into
master today!  Thanks so much to Martin and Oscar who have been taking
care of this on the separate repo!

I moved all the existing docs temporarily to doc-deprecated (it's
easier to have this old material available while we're stabilizing),
and there's probably going to be a number of changes before publishing
-- but don't hesitate to discuss, raise JIRA, make PRs now!

You won't see the website in action until the next release, but
hopefully we can get that going soon.  I've spent quite a few hours on
it to figure out the "release process", which will probably involve
some manual steps at first.  Notably it's missing the documentation to
build and review the website locally!  I'll prioritize getting that in
place.

Github Actions should still be working for all of the SDKs, but you
might find some problems building the documentation locally for a bit.

Thanks everyone, I think we're all looking forward to seeing this in place!

Ryan

Re: New website

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,