Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Liu Yubao <yu...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/14 15:59:00 UTC

How to relocate source repos for svnsync?

Hi,

I have setuped a repos B to sync from repos A with svnsync:

   svnsync init file:///path/to/reposB   http://hostA/reposA
   svnsync sync file:///path/to/reposB

Now I add SSL support to the Apache server on hostA, the
svnsync's SRCURL is changed to https://hostA/reposA, only the
procotol changed, how can I relocate the source repos for svnsync?

I have tried to do `svn pe svn:sync-from-url --revprop -r 0 \
file://path/to/reposB` to change the source url, but `svnsync sync`
tells me "svnsync: Malformed URL for repository".

(I haven't subscribed this mail list, please CC to me, thanks!)

Best regards,

Liu Yubao

Re: How to relocate source repos for svnsync?

Posted by Liu Yubao <yu...@gmail.com>.
Johnathan Gifford wrote:
> I don't think there is a way to do this.  We recently ran into the
> same issue as the domain name changed.  The only solution we had was
> to start over.
>
> A way to keep everything from breaking if your old URL/repository is
> still working is to create a new repository with a different name.  Go
> through the steps of initialization and synchronization on the new
> repository.  Once the new repository is synchronized with HEAD on the
> master, remove/rename the old repository and then rename the new
> repository with the old repository's name.  This should keep the down
> time to a near minimum.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Johnathan

> Yubao <yu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have setuped a repos B to sync from repos A with svnsync:
>>
>>    svnsync init file:///path/to/reposB   http://hostA/reposA
>>    svnsync sync file:///path/to/reposB
>>
>> Now I add SSL support to the Apache server on hostA, the
>> svnsync's SRCURL is changed to https://hostA/reposA, only the
>> procotol changed, how can I relocate the source repos for svnsync?
>>
>> I have tried to do `svn pe svn:sync-from-url --revprop -r 0 \
>> file://path/to/reposB` to change the source url, but `svnsync sync`
>> tells me "svnsync: Malformed URL for repository".
>>
>> (I haven't subscribed this mail list, please CC to me, thanks!)

Thanks for your reply! I created a fresh reposB to sync from scratch
yesterday, it took about one hour.

The down time isn't a problem here because it's an internal Subversion
service in our company, I can shutdown the Apache service after work.
The problem is I need a secure encrypted connection between reposA and
reposB but I can't change the source url in reposB belonged to svnsync,
so I have no choice but to synchronize from scratch.

Luckily, the reposA isn't too big but it's really not convenient that
svnsync doesn't have a "relocate" sub command.

Posted by Johnathan Gifford <jg...@wernervas.com>.