Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/16 16:17:04 UTC

Pootle – Fix critical errors – Accelerators – Please, add Accelerator

The LT translation does not contain the accelerator mark-up (~). As a
result, Pootle throws 3 250 errors. I was told years ago it's not a
problem since accelerators are automatically inserted during the
building of the program from its source code. That it is actually not a
problem is further attested by the fact that the LT installation does
contain all the accelerators. My question is this: should I do anything
about the critical errors in Pootle or should I just ignore them?

Regards,

Aivaras

Re: Pootle – Fix critical errors – Accelerators – Please, add Accelerator

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Aivaras,

Am 16.02.20 um 17:34 schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
> Mechtilde, thank you for your work, too!
>
> I'm on Windows. Matthias, when are you planning to do the next batch
> of builds for Windows?

After the lt translation is committed.

Monday evening would be perfect for me to start. Upload would then be on
Tuesday.

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Mechtilde wrote:
> I don't know anything about automatically inserted accelerations.

I confirm we have an algorithm that assigns accelerators automatically
when they are not specified.

The only drawback is that this way they won't be stable if new menu
items are introduced, meaning that adding a new menu item could cause
old accelerators to change.

This is a minor problem though, as in most cases one relies on the
keyboard shortcuts (CTRL-O, CTRL-S and so on) which are still stable,
and not on a sequence of accelerators.

In general, I think we can avoid accelerators in translations and rely
on the automatic assignment.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Pootle – Fix critical errors – Accelerators – Please, add Accelerator

Posted by Maciej Jaros <eg...@wp.pl>.
Mechtilde (2020-02-16 17:25):
> Hello Aivaras,
>
> thanks for your translation work.
>
> I don't know anything about automatically inserted accelerations.

I've remembered an example. This didn't contain an accelerator:
Locations: optgdlg.src#OFA_TP_LANGUAGES.CB_ASIANSUPPORT.checkbox.text

It was "Pokaż elementy interfac'u użytkownika dla języków
wschodnioazjatyckich"

Yet in GUI "P" was/is underlined. See e.g. bottom of this screen:
https://bz.apache.org/ooo/attachment.cgi?id=86828

Cheers,
Nux.

Re: Pootle – Fix critical errors – Accelerators – Please, add Accelerator

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
Hello Aivaras,

thanks for your translation work.

I don't know anything about automatically inserted accelerations.

We can do a test build. Matthias on Windows and/or me on Linux. Then you
can test it.

and the you can see which letter should get the Acceleration. Each
letter should be only once used as an accelerator in on part of a menu.

Kind regards

Am 16.02.20 um 17:17 schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
> The LT translation does not contain the accelerator mark-up (~). As a
> result, Pootle throws 3 250 errors. I was told years ago it's not a
> problem since accelerators are automatically inserted during the
> building of the program from its source code. That it is actually not a
> problem is further attested by the fact that the LT installation does
> contain all the accelerators. My question is this: should I do anything
> about the critical errors in Pootle or should I just ignore them?
>
> Regards,
>
> Aivaras

Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Debian Developer
## PGP encryption welcome
## F0E3 7F3D C87A 4998 2899  39E7 F287 7BBA 141A AD7F

Re: Pootle – Fix critical errors – Accelerators – Please, add Accelerator

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
Agreed. In fact, the question is whether we need accelerator keys at all
in the text of a pre-build translation if they get inserted
automatically at a later stage anyway.

The text would be much cleaner without the tilde (breaking words,
impeding spell-checking, and making search more difficult).

Regards,

Aivaras

Posted by Maciej Jaros <eg...@wp.pl>.
Aivaras Stepukonis (2020-02-16 17:17):
> The LT translation does not contain the accelerator mark-up (~). As a
> result, Pootle throws 3 250 errors. I was told years ago it's not a
> problem since accelerators are automatically inserted during the
> building of the program from its source code. That it is actually not
> a problem is further attested by the fact that the LT installation
> does contain all the accelerators. My question is this: should I do
> anything about the critical errors in Pootle or should I just ignore
> them?

I think this is a bug in new Pootle. I mean that missing accelerators
shouldn't be marked as critical errors.

 From what I've seen Polish translation doesn't contain accelerator in