Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au> on 2010/03/04 01:02:09 UTC

[VOTE] - Upgrade Java Version to 1.5

Hi All,

This vote is to move 'trunk' to using java version 1.5.
This also means advising users/devs that this is the minimum required
version and that testing on versions of Java earlier than 1.5 will not be
supported.

Parts of the current trunk, including 'Dispatcher' do not work or do not
work well with Java 1.4.x

I have tested current trunk and dispatcher with Java 1.5 and it works well
FOR ME. Java 1.6 also works fine.

I propose that we move to Java 1.5 on trunk immediately following a
successful vote. I also propose that before voting, that devs TEST Java 1.5
on trunk and in their own current usage. Only vote for this change if you
are happy that things will continue to work or will begin to work well for
YOU.

This vote for moving to Java 1.5 is to last until at least after the next
release, so that we have at least one official release using the minimum
Java 1.5 spec.

Please take your time and vote when your ready, this vote will run for ONE
WEEK beginning now and ending on 11th March 2010 12PM (noon) GMT time.

[ ] - +1 Yes let's make the move.

[ ] - +/-0 I don't mind either way.

[ ] - -1 I strongly object and here are my reasons ...

Thanks All

Gav..

Re: [VOTE] - Upgrade Java Version to 1.5

Posted by Brian M Dube <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 10:02:09AM +1000, Gav... wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This vote is to move 'trunk' to using java version 1.5.
> This also means advising users/devs that this is the minimum required
> version and that testing on versions of Java earlier than 1.5 will not be
> supported.
>
> Parts of the current trunk, including 'Dispatcher' do not work or do not
> work well with Java 1.4.x
>
> I have tested current trunk and dispatcher with Java 1.5 and it works well
> FOR ME. Java 1.6 also works fine.
>
> I propose that we move to Java 1.5 on trunk immediately following a
> successful vote. I also propose that before voting, that devs TEST Java 1.5
> on trunk and in their own current usage. Only vote for this change if you
> are happy that things will continue to work or will begin to work well for
> YOU.
>
> This vote for moving to Java 1.5 is to last until at least after the next
> release, so that we have at least one official release using the minimum
> Java 1.5 spec.
>
> Please take your time and vote when your ready, this vote will run for ONE
> WEEK beginning now and ending on 11th March 2010 12PM (noon) GMT time.
>
> [ ] - +1 Yes let's make the move.
>
> [ ] - +/-0 I don't mind either way.
>
> [ ] - -1 I strongly object and here are my reasons ...

+1

Thanks, Gavin.

Brian

Re: [VOTE] - Upgrade Java Version to 1.5

Posted by Sjur Moshagen <sj...@mac.com>.
Den 4. mar. 2010 kl. 02.02 skrev Gav...:

> This vote is to move 'trunk' to using java version 1.5.

+1

Sjur

Re: [VOTE] - Upgrade Java Version to 1.5

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On 04/03/2010, at 01:02, Gav... wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This vote is to move 'trunk' to using java version 1.5.

+1

Thanks Gavin to bring the ball rolling.

salu2

[RESULT] - [VOTE] - Upgrade Java Version to 1.5

Posted by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.
Hi all,

The result of the vote is as follows.

+1 = Tim Williams, Cyriaque Dupoirieux, Brian M Dube, Thorten Scherler, Sina
K Heshkati, David Crossley, Sjur Moshagen, Gavin McDonald

+/- 0 = No Votes

-1 = No Votes

So, with 8 +1 Votes and no other votes, this vote passes.

Thank you all, I'll see about making necessary changes tomorrow.

Gav...

REMINDER : One day left to : [VOTE] - Upgrade Java Version to 1.5

Posted by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.
Hi All,

For those that haven't yet, to use your right to vote on this issue,
there is one day and a few hours left to do so.

Cheers

Gav...

Posted by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

from me too.

Gav...

Posted by Cyriaque Dupoirieux <cy...@pco-innovation.com>.
+1,

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 7:02 PM, Gav... <ga...@16degrees.com.au> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This vote is to move 'trunk' to using java version 1.5.
> This also means advising users/devs that this is the minimum required
> version and that testing on versions of Java earlier than 1.5 will not be
> supported.
>
> Parts of the current trunk, including 'Dispatcher' do not work or do not
> work well with Java 1.4.x
>
> I have tested current trunk and dispatcher with Java 1.5 and it works well
> FOR ME. Java 1.6 also works fine.
>
> I propose that we move to Java 1.5 on trunk immediately following a
> successful vote. I also propose that before voting, that devs TEST Java 1.5
> on trunk and in their own current usage. Only vote for this change if you
> are happy that things will continue to work or will begin to work well for
> YOU.
>
> This vote for moving to Java 1.5 is to last until at least after the next
> release, so that we have at least one official release using the minimum
> Java 1.5 spec.
>
> Please take your time and vote when your ready, this vote will run for ONE
> WEEK beginning now and ending on 11th March 2010 12PM (noon) GMT time.
>
> [ ] - +1 Yes let's make the move.
>
> [ ] - +/-0 I don't mind either way.
>
> [ ] - -1 I strongly object and here are my reasons ...

+1,  Thanks for calling this Gav...

--tim

RE: [VOTE] - Upgrade Java Version to 1.5

Posted by "Sina K. Heshmati" <si...@khakbaz.com>.
"Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au> said:

> This vote is to move 'trunk' to using java version 1.5.
> This also means advising users/devs that this is the minimum required
> version and that testing on versions of Java earlier than 1.5 will not be
> supported.
>
> Parts of the current trunk, including 'Dispatcher' do not work or do not
> work well with Java 1.4.x
>
> I have tested current trunk and dispatcher with Java 1.5 and it works well
> FOR ME. Java 1.6 also works fine.
>
> I propose that we move to Java 1.5 on trunk immediately following a
> successful vote. I also propose that before voting, that devs TEST Java 1.5
> on trunk and in their own current usage. Only vote for this change if you
> are happy that things will continue to work or will begin to work well for
> YOU.
>
> This vote for moving to Java 1.5 is to last until at least after the next
> release, so that we have at least one official release using the minimum
> Java 1.5 spec.

+1

Sina