Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2010/08/29 15:33:29 UTC

Meetup in the Bay Area in Sept?

Anyone in the Bay Area interested in getting together to talk Mahout on Sept. 16th or 17th?  Nothing formal required.  If we have enough interest, we could look in to the Hacker Dojo or something like that, otherwise a coffee shop or bar would be good.

-Grant

Re: Meetup in the Bay Area in Sept?

Posted by Drew Farris <dr...@apache.org>.
You'll have to skype me in. I'll be in DC as usu. <g> Sounds like
there are some interesting topics of discussion queued up.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.
  I'd like to talk about the SVD stuff and converging vectorization,
classification with clustering.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

--------------------------

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
+1 for the livestream :)

Posted by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Federico Castanedo <fc...@inf.uc3m.es>.
Hi all,

Posted by Federico Castanedo <fc...@inf.uc3m.es>.
I'll keep my mouth close :D

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.
Cool by me.
:)

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.
  +1 I'd like to discuss remaining work items for 0.4

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com>.

Fwd: Meetup in the Bay Area in Sept?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Anyone interested?

Begin forwarded message:

--------------------------

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I would be up for that.

(really)

Posted by Harish Tejwani <ha...@gmail.com>.
It was a great meeting Mahout team - snailing through Bay Area traffic to
venue was worth it!

One general comment (consensus) was to publish more use-cases and scenarios
that Mahout is solving, given all the knowledge that exists in the team
already. I learnt quite a bit on something I am looking forward to try
Mahout to (as Mahout user), Frequent Item Set mining. Ted and Grant
encouraged me to contribute to wiki even though my findings are raw (read
wrong ;).

Found a very nice overview of topic here
https://cwiki.apache.org/MAHOUT/parallel-frequent-pattern-mining.html

Looks very encouraging and would give it a try!

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 9:13 PM, Sumi <su...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It we very nice meeting with Ted and Grant. Grant I have been using your
> book as a reference to teach university students in India about building
> recommendation Engine. Where can I find the list of real-life
> implementations of mahout?

There is a partial list at
https://cwiki.apache.org/MAHOUT/powered-by-mahout.html but there are a
number of other users too shy (or lazy) to put their names up there.

> How does Mahout meetup idea on stanford campus sound?

Sounds fine.  Do you have the means to arrange that?

Failing that, we can meet in a pub or the hacker's dojo.

Re: Meetup in the Bay Area in Sept?

Posted by Sumi <su...@gmail.com>.
It we very nice meeting with Ted and Grant. Grant I have been using your
book as a reference to teach university students in India about building
recommendation Engine. Where can I find the list of real-life
implementations of mahout?

How does Mahout meetup idea on stanford campus sound?

Regards,
Sumithra Jonnalagadda
Founder iRelaxa: GoalMatch Engine
url: www.iRelaxa.com
email:sumi@iRelaxa.com

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Looks pretty much right to me.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.
  Hi Robin,

Posted by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hey all,

  Sorry to be lame and miss the fun... I tried to get out of work early to
make it down, but DAMN THESE STARTUPS and their deadlines!  Spent all day
until just a few min ago getting a demo working, and might still miss my
plane if BART doesn't hurry up. :/

  Next time, hopefully!

  -jake

On Sep 16, 2010 12:46 PM, "Ted Dunning" <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

Correct.  I will be there early to snag the table.

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>
wrote: > > Just to conf...

Re: Meetup in the Bay Area in Sept?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
It should be just before 6.

Posted by Sumi <su...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Harish Tejwani <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@gmail.com>.
+1 on the 16th

Posted by Saikat Kanjilal <sx...@hotmail.com>.
Hi All,
Any chance for a future meetup in Seattle, would love to attend and learn more about the colt math library as well as other topics?

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.
  +1 On my calendar for 16th

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I called just now.

They have a table that will seat 10.  I will get there a bit early to snag
the table.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.