Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by jbert <al...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/14 11:55:09 UTC

Karaf 3 alternative for packages:exports missing?

Hello,

I regularly used packages:exports in Karaf 2.2.5 for diagnosing resolve
errors; it provides a list of packages combined with the bundle-id of the
bundle exporting a given package.

The packages:imports command seems to be replaced by bundle:requirements in
Karaf 3, but did anyone think to port the exports functionality? I didn't
spot a bundle:exports command...

I know about bundle:headers, but this command works differently; you can't
simply grep for a given package without having to resort to the "--context"
parameter. I also looked at the help for the headers command, and it doesn't
have some "--exports" switch, so no luck there.

Did I miss something, or did this functionality get lost?

With best regards,

Bert Jacobs

Re: Karaf 3 alternative for packages:exports missing?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
The "problem" is more about the "semantic".

I mean, we can compare with service:list and bundle:services:
- service:list will display something like service:bundle (so the sort
unit is service)
- bundle:services will display something like services local to the
bundle (or bundles if several are provided) (so the sort unit is bundle)

As analogy:
- bundle:capabilities will display the capabilities (and so the packages
exported) by bundle
- package:export will display the package exported (so the capabilities)
globally

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Karaf 3 alternative for packages:exports missing?

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Karaf 3 alternative for packages:exports missing?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 ;)

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Agree, it something that even us got really confused about, imagine the
impact that will have on the users.

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*
FuseSource <http://fusesource.com>

**
Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
**
Twitter: iocanel
*

Re: Karaf 3 alternative for packages:exports missing?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Bert,

On trunk (Karaf 3), you have two new commands:

bundle:capabilities

and

bundle:requirements

It's similar to the OBR. Import packages are bundle requirements; export
packages are bundle capabilities.

However, I think it's not easy for the users and more over the semantic
is not exactly the same:

- bundle:requirements is per bundles
- package:import was "global" to all bundles

So even if we can have more or less the same with
capabilities/requirements, I will reintroduce package:* in Karaf 3 (end
of this week).

Regards
JB

On 03/14/2012 11:55 AM, jbert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I regularly used packages:exports in Karaf 2.2.5 for diagnosing resolve
> errors; it provides a list of packages combined with the bundle-id of the
> bundle exporting a given package.
>
> The packages:imports command seems to be replaced by bundle:requirements in
> Karaf 3, but did anyone think to port the exports functionality? I didn't
> spot a bundle:exports command...
>
> I know about bundle:headers, but this command works differently; you can't
> simply grep for a given package without having to resort to the "--context"
> parameter. I also looked at the help for the headers command, and it doesn't
> have some "--exports" switch, so no luck there.
>
> Did I miss something, or did this functionality get lost?
>

> With best regards,
>
> Bert Jacobs

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org