Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch> on 2001/07/13 12:26:37 UTC

Fwd: Taglibs, log tags for log4j

FYI, Jochen Hiller has written logs tags based on log4j. The code seems
pretty complete but I am not necessarily a good judge. I have also
noticed his code resides under the org.apache.log4j.taglib namespace
which hints that the code may be distributed along with standard log4j
distribution, i.e. log4j.jar.

As far as I know, there are now 3 logging taglibs based on
log4j. Considering competition is good then there is nothing wrong
with this state of affairs. However, this also means that there is
wasted development effort.

How about closer coopreation between the taglibs project and
and the log4j project? Do you think we could work together to
incorporate jakarta-taglib's log tag in log4j? I welcome your
suggestions and comments.

Jochen, I strongly encourage you work with the taglibs group in order
to incorporate your ideas into taglibs/log.

By the way, I have noticed the assert tag. Since assert is a
language-reserved word in JDK 1.4, lacking a better solution, log4j
will simply drop support for the Category.assert method. This is
already the case in the code contained in the log4j CVS rep. I
apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards, Ceki

--
Ceki Gülcü - http://qos.ch

Re: Taglibs, log tags for log4j

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hi Ceki

From: "Ceki Gülcü" <cg...@qos.ch>
> If I understand correctly, http://www.adjacency.org/logtags.jsp is
> no longer pertinent...

Yes, thats Joe's original taglib. The log taglib at jakarta-taglibs
supercedes that one.

> Whatever you deem most appropriate is fine with me. IMHO,
> pre-packaging log taglib in log4j will give the former a serious
> boost. This may seem like a silly marketing detail but it can make
> a real difference for the log taglib. Regards, Ceki

In terms of CVS repository and so forth I'd prefer the log taglib to stay in
the jakarta-taglibs project.

Though there's nothing to stop the log4j distribution bundling the log4j
taglib inside it. e.g. the daily or release build of log4j could cvs
checkout the log4j taglib and include it in the log4j distribution.

Then everyones happy, log4j comes with a taglib and the log taglib
developers stay part of the jakarta-taglib project and community..

James

Re: Taglibs, log tags for log4j

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> At 14:50 13.07.2001 +0100, James Strachan wrote:
> >Hi Ceki
> >
> >> From: Ceki Gülcü [mailto:cgu@qos.ch]
> >>
> >> FYI, Jochen Hiller has written logs tags based on log4j. The code seems
> >> pretty complete but I am not necessarily a good judge. I have also
> >> noticed his code resides under the org.apache.log4j.taglib namespace
> >> which hints that the code may be distributed along with standard log4j
> >> distribution, i.e. log4j.jar.
> >>
> >> As far as I know, there are now 3 logging taglibs based on
> >> log4j.
> >

> >Actually the log taglib in jakarta-taglibs started life as Joseph Ottinger's
> >logging taglib - which may be one of the 3 you are thinking of.
> >Joe donated his taglib to the taglibs project some time back.
>
> If I understand correctly, http://www.adjacency.org/logtags.jsp is
> no longer pertinent...
>
> >> Considering competition is good then there is nothing wrong
> >> with this state of affairs. However, this also means that there is
> >> wasted development effort.
> >
> >Agreed.
> >
> >If Jochen merges his work with the log taglib in jakarata taglibs (which
> >seems likely) then we'll have only one.
> >

> >> How about closer coopreation between the taglibs project and
> >> and the log4j project? Do you think we could work together to
> >> incorporate jakarta-taglib's log tag in log4j? I welcome your
> >> suggestions and comments.
> >

> >I think the jakarta-taglib project is a better place for the log taglib
> >since it is a taglib. e.g. it can share work on common build formats,
> >generation of HTML documentation and JSP 1.1, 1.2 TLDs and so on.
>
> Whatever you deem most appropriate is fine with me. IMHO,
> pre-packaging log taglib in log4j will give the former a serious
> boost. This may seem like a silly marketing detail but it can make
> a real difference for the log taglib. Regards, Ceki

And vice versa.

Due to the surrounding infrastructure, the log taglib can reside
in jakarta-taglibs.  But there is no reason joint releases can't be
done.  log4j could include the latest release of the log taglib,
the log taglib could contain the latest release of log4j.

This way both projects are doing the marketing. :-)

Regards,

Glenn

Re: Taglibs, log tags for log4j

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch>.
Hi James,

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hi Ceki

Posted by Jochen Hiller <jo...@t-online.de>.
Thanks Ceki for the compliment.

In general, I would appreciate to merge the different activities to one
common standard. The general question I have (also mentioned by Ceki to the
taglibs mailing-list), is about the relationship between jakarta-taglibs and
jakarta-log4j.

If jakarta-taglibs accepts a strong dependency to the underlying
implementation based on log4j (probably like other tag libraries ? I am not
too familier with them), then jakarta-taglibs would be an appropriate place.
If the taglibs should be an abstraction layer to different implementation
(e.g. make the tags usable for other approaches, e.g. JSR 047 ;-), then the
currently really log4j specific implementation could be part of the log4j
project. I am completely open for both approaches, it depends more on the
direction of both projects. Comments welcome from the community.

Thanks for the hint with the assert tag. I will make some changes to be
compliant with JDK 1.4. I just downloaded it today, and doing the first
compilations.

Bye, Jochen