Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Gregor Ebersberg <gr...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/20 19:15:58 UTC

Newbie: How can visitors access content managed by lenya without giving a port number?

Hi list:

I'm new, did the tiny lenya tutorial and read something about lenya and,
frankly, understood only a few things.

I use Lenya 2.0.2 Standalone Installation (using the built-in Jetty) under
openSuse 10.2 running Java 1.5.0_16 from the rpms. I started lenya in the
terminal as root simply by "./lenya.sh &" (btw is there another way to stop
it but to kill the java process?).

Although I do program (among a lot of other things) in JAVA to develop applets
for years, I realized that I should be intimately familiar with servlets,
tomcat, and a lot of other stuff regarding server-side java technology in
order to understand whats going on in lenya.

Is there a easy way to just use lenya as is and have the visitors of my web
site accessing content as if it where made from static html documents?

Please forgive me: Can this be seen as a case of non-guru usability of lenya?

Sorry for the basic-ness of my question and thank you for an answer in advance

Re: Newbie: How can visitors access content managed by lenya without giving a port number?

Posted by Gregor Ebersberg <gr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Vik!

This is a very quick response. And thank you very much for your helpful
answer.

However then it comes down to first learning all Tomcat in interaction with
Apache. Thanks again and don't get me wrong, but seemingly it all boils down
to exactly the guru issue with Lenya (please see below) I was worried about.

I really do appreciate your quick and competent answer!
Gregor

Posted by Vik Tara <vi...@propco.co.uk>.
Hi,

Posted by Gregor Ebersberg <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi:

On Monday 22 September 2008 06:56:45 pm solprovider@apache.org wrote:

> I think you understand.  The following is meant as a draft of what
> could be added to the documentation.  Would this text have prevented
> your confusion?
>
> ===
> Lenya is a Java Servlet
i.e. an object that plugs into proper interfaces on the serverside. Therefore
> running Lenya requires a servlet engine
or a
> Web
> server
providing such interfaces
> .  Two popular (and well-tested) choices are:
> 1. Jetty - a free non-Apache simple servlet engine/Web server included
> with Lenya.
> 2. Tomcat - Apache's robust servlet engine/Web server. Tomcat also
> offers integration with Apache httpd.
>
> Lenya on Jetty defaults to using port 8888 to avoid conflicts with
> Tomcat's default port 8080 and the default port 80 for Web servers.
> The port for any Web server (including Jetty) is configurable; so Lenya
> can use port 80 (if not conflicting with other Web servers) to avoid
> requiring any port number in URLs.
>
> Many Web servers can proxy to the Lenya standalone (Jetty) server.
> This often requires URL and Cookie rewriting. The advantage is the
> URL rewriting can create more concise URLs e.g. removing the
> Publication and Area names from URLs.
>
> We recommend evaluations (and beginners) use the standalone Jetty
> installation with the understanding that URLs can be improved for
> production
purposes.

I tried to improve your text further but I can't. To me it seems very precise
and it surely would have prevented my confusion.

Thank you very much,
Gregor

Re: Newbie: How can visitors access content managed by lenya without giving a port number?

Posted by so...@apache.org.
On 9/22/08, Gregor Ebersberg <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  On Sunday 21 September 2008 01:43:22 pm solprovider@apache.org wrote:
>  > I was surprised you felt Tomcat was necessary.  The installation
>  > instructions at:
>  > http://lenya.apache.org/docu20/installation20/install20.html
>  > explain the standalone implementation first.  What caused you to think
>  > that Tomcat was needed?  We are always seeking to improve the
>  > documentation.  Should we add a line stating, "We recommend the Jetty
>  > standalone installation for beginners."?
>
> That is certainly a way to respond, if this is an issue at all.
>
>  However, my problem was even more rooted in my lack of knowledge: I had to
>  look up what Jetty is. And I did so only after encountering the term in some
>  of the answers on this list. So same on me but only briefly.
>
>  I would opt for explaining all names in the documentation text (and not
>  relaying on the user following a link, if you think you can take advantage of
>  hypertext) iff (if and only if) the name is crucial in the understanding of
>  the documentation text's meaning. In the case of >Jetty<, I needed to be
>  aware that Jetty provides http server functionality to understand that I
>  don't need Tomcat with Apache altogether.
>
>  On the other hand, if I understood this bit, this also means that I have to
>  abandon my Apache server to use Lenya in a ready-made out-of-the-box fashion
>  (and it is still a question whether someone else finds this useful). Perhaps
>  abandoning Apache is improbable for the average newbie that the Lenya
>  community is poised to convince of Lenya's value.
>
>  Perhaps it's much easier to explain explicitly in the documentation that the
>  port numbers in the URLs will vanish once Lenya is properly and permanently
>  installed on the new user's host. And meanwhile new users have to endure the
>  port numbers in the URLs but, of course, need not worry about them since they
>  vanish if the new user decides to install Lenya permanently.
>
>  I even thought all visitors need to go through the start screen, e.g. the one
>  set up as the main demo site at http://lenya.zones.apache.org:9999/index.html
>  (linked in the second line of text on http://lenya.apache.org . Is it
>  possible to first lead the visitors of the Lenya home page to a working
>  example of content served by a Jetty instance including a prominant link to
>  the Lenya management of that content? (Of course since the transition from
>  forrest to Lenya, as far as I read, the whole content is managed by Lenya,
>  but new visitors can only learn from what they are aware of.
>
>  Thank you so much,
> Gregor

I think you understand.  The following is meant as a draft of what
could be added to the documentation.  Would this text have prevented
your confusion?

===
Lenya is a Java Servlet.  Running Lenya requires a servlet engine/Web
server.  Two popular (and well-tested) choices are:
1. Jetty - a free non-Apache simple servlet engine/Web server included
with Lenya.
2. Tomcat - Apache's robust servlet engine/Web server. Tomcat also
offers integration with Apache httpd.

Lenya on Jetty defaults to using port 8888 to avoid conflicts with
Tomcat's default port 8080 and the default port 80 for Web servers.
The port for any Web server (including Jetty) is configurable so Lenya
can use port 80 (if not conflicting with other Web servers) to avoid
requiring the port number in URLs.

Posted by Gregor Ebersberg <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hello list!

> [...]

example of content served by a Jetty instance including a prominant link to
the Lenya management of that content? (Of course since the transition from
forrest to Lenya, as far as I read, the whole content is managed by Lenya,
but new visitors can only learn from what they are aware of.

> The following is provided more to explain possibilities with Lenya
> than suggest this is the best implementation.  Below is an excerpt
> from our Apache httpd configuration for proxying to Lenya 1.2.  We
> only use Kupu for editing so more might be needed for other editors.
> Lenya 2.x would require testing and probably many changes.
> ProxyPassReverseCookieDomain requires at least Apache httpd 2.1.
>
> Our implementation requires login to the main website
> (www.example.com) before entering edit mode (on edit.example.com).
> Accessing the edit server without logging in returns a blank page.
> The main website has "edit" links when a visitor has the rights to
> edit a page.
>
> The session Cookies are at the domain level so sessions work for both
> server names.  The default domain server name (http://example.com)
> would not work as the Cookies would not be shared.  (We Redirect the
> default domain server name to add "www.".)
>
> The Publication name is removed from URLs.  The only clues that the
> website is running Lenya are:
> - the META Generator Header.  (Our goal was not to hide that we are
> using Lenya, just have concise URLs.)
> - the language (e.g. "_en") in every page name.
> - the "lenya.usecase" querystring parameter in the Register/Login,
> Contact, Sitemap, and Search URLs. (Lenya 2 uses similar syntax for
> "lenya.module". My development version does not require the
> querystring for basic functionality.)
>
> <VirtualHost *>
>         ServerName edit.example.com
>         RewriteEngine On
>         RewriteRule ^/$ http://127.0.0.1:8888/myPublication/authoring/$1
> [P] RewriteRule ^/images/(.*)$
> http://127.0.0.1:8888/myPublication/authoring/images/$1 [P]
>         RewriteRule ^/css/(.*)$
> http://127.0.0.1:8888/myPublication/authoring/css/$1 [P]
>         RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://127.0.0.1:8888/$1 [P]
>         ProxyPassReverseCookieDomain 127.0.0.1 example.com
>         ProxyPassReverse /       http://127.0.0.1:8888/
> </VirtualHost>
> <VirtualHost *>
>         ServerName  www.example.com
>         RewriteEngine On
>         RewriteRule ^/edit.example.com/(.*)$ /$1
>         RewriteRule ^/myPublication/live/(.*)$
> http://127.0.0.1:8888/myPublication/live/$1 [P]
>         RewriteRule ^/myPublication/authoring/(.*)$
> http://127.0.0.1:8888/myPublication/live/$1 [P]
>         RewriteRule ^/lenya/(.*)$ http://127.0.0.1:8888/lenya/$1 [P]
>         RewriteRule ^/kupu/(.*)$ http://127.0.0.1:8888/kupu/$1 [P]
>         RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://127.0.0.1:8888/myPublication/live/$1 [P]
>         ProxyMaxForwards 2
>         ProxyPassReverseCookieDomain 127.0.0.1 example.com

I appreciate details very much and certainly this many helpful lines! (SO I
might be off for quite some time to try some of the above on my own.

Thank you so much,
Gregor

On 9/21/08, Gregor Ebersberg <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>  my initial concerns that in order to just use lenya one needs to be capable
>  of configuring of at least the intercation Apache and Lenya (and I first
>  thought I would also need Tomcat which would make it a interaction of 3
>  systems). Just using Lenya under Jetty would allow to tailor a working
>  example which would also encompass a working live site as the final output as
>  an example that also newbies like me would find convincing. Are there more
>  people on the list how would find this useful?
>  > In Lenya 1.2.5, the JETTY_PORT is set in lenya.sh.  In earlier
>  > versions and in Lenya 2.x, JETTY_PORT is an environment variable,
>  > although it may still be overridden in lenya.sh.
>  > What benefits are you expecting from running Lenya in Tomcat?
> If i could avoid it, I would first try without, as I'm clueless about Tomcat.
>
>  > The
>  > primary benefit of Tomcat over Jetty is hot reloading of Java classes
>  > -- more useful for development than production.  The other benefit is
>  > for businesses where adding a servlet to Tomcat is easier than adding
>  > a new program (usually due to lengthy approval processes rather than
>  > any technical issues.)  Lenya in Tomcat shares the JVM with other
>  > applications, sometimes creating library conflicts (specifically
>  > Xalan.)
>  >
>  > We use Apache httpd on port 80 proxying to Lenya on another port
>  > firewalled from the Internet.  For upgrades and new websites, we
>  > create new instances of Lenya, test, then just adjust the httpd
>  > configuration.  We currently use virtual servers, but integrating
>  > Lenya pages using the URL path would be almost as easy.  One advantage
>  > is we remove the publication name from external URLs.
>
> That sounds both impressive and very handy!
>  Best,
> Gregor

Most devs like Tomcat reloading Java classes without restarting Lenya
while developing.  I develop using Jetty, and am constantly restarting
Lenya.

For production. Jetty is easier  than Tomcat for maintenance:
- easier multiple instances of Lenya.
- separate configuration of each instance.
- easier configuration of the proxy since each instance uses a different port.
- each Lenya instance in a separate JVM.  The MLs contain debates
whether this is better or worse for process and memory management, but
it definitely avoids Java class conflicts.
- less technology (since you do not need to install/configure/use Tomcat.)

I was surprised you felt Tomcat was necessary.  The installation
instructions at:
http://lenya.apache.org/docu20/installation20/install20.html
explain the standalone implementation first.  What caused you to think
that Tomcat was needed?  We are always seeking to improve the
documentation.  Should we add a line stating, "We recommend the Jetty
standalone installation for beginners."?

---

[...]

HTH,
solprovider

Re: Newbie: How can visitors access content managed by lenya without giving a port number?

Posted by Gregor Ebersberg <gr...@gmail.com>.
Thank you very much!

On 9/20/08, Gregor Ebersberg <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  Thank you for your answers, also for the parts I do not quote here. However, I
>  would like to concentrate on this bit.
>
>  On Saturday 20 September 2008 03:04:39 pm solprovider@apache.org wrote:
>  > >  Is there a easy way to just use lenya as is and have the visitors of my
>  > > web site accessing content as if it where made from static html
>  > > documents?
>  > Lenya's primary use is WYSIWYG editing of (X)HTML documents.  Is this
>  > not obvious from the "default" Publication?
>
> Yes, the 'default' publication looks like that. However, I hoped to learn to
>  use a content management system when I started to spend my time on Lenya.
>  Therefore I hoped that Lenya would not only do WYSIWYG editing of (X)HTML
>  documents but also manage the workflow. Actually it does, from what I saw.
>  However, I hoped the workflow would ultimately lead to output that is ready
>  to be shown on a web site. I'm still sure Lenya can do that, since there are
>  sites using lenya and you don't see port numbers in the URLs.
>
>  From former answers I now conclude that I need to deploy Lenya in a Tomcat
>  environment. No easy way to use lenya to that end. But perhaps some one know
>  still some other way. For example what if I configure in build.sh to use port
>  80 instead of 8888 in the Jetty instalation?
>
>  Thank you so much for your time answering me,
> Gregor

If using Jetty, the JETTY_PORT setting controls which port is used.
The default is 8888 to avoid conflicts with standard Web servers (e.g.
Apache httpd) on port 80 and Tomcat's default port 8080.  Set
JETTY_PORT=80 if Lenya is the only Web server to avoid URLs containing
the port number.

In Lenya 1.2.5, the JETTY_PORT is set in lenya.sh.  In earlier
versions and in Lenya 2.x, JETTY_PORT is an environment variable,
although it may still be overridden in lenya.sh.

What benefits are you expecting from running Lenya in Tomcat?  The
primary benefit of Tomcat over Jetty is hot reloading of Java classes
-- more useful for development than production.  The other benefit is
for businesses where adding a servlet to Tomcat is easier than adding
a new program (usually due to lengthy approval processes rather than
any technical issues.)  Lenya in Tomcat shares the JVM with other
applications, sometimes creating library conflicts (specifically
Xalan.)

We use Apache httpd on port 80 proxying to Lenya on another port
firewalled from the Internet.  For upgrades and new websites, we
create new instances of Lenya, test, then just adjust the httpd
configuration.  We currently use virtual servers, but integrating
Lenya pages using the URL path would be almost as easy.  One advantage
is we remove the publication name from external URLs.

As a CMS, Lenya natively controls workflow; you do not need Tomcat to
use this feature.  According to the Lenya 2.0 website, one- and
two-step approvals and email notifications are included.  The
"default" Publication required one approval before publishing HTML
pages.  Maybe you can understand the configuration:
http://lenya.apache.org/docu20/reference/resource-types.html#N100B5
(which refers to the Lenya 1.2 documentation.)

I apologize for my limited knowledge of Lenya 2.x.  Our production
systems are running Lenya 1.2.5. My development work is on a different
branch.  Many Lenya 2.x devs are more active on business days.

solprovider

Re: Newbie: How can visitors access content managed by lenya without giving a port number?

Posted by Gregor Ebersberg <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
Thank you for your answers, also for the parts I do not quote here. However, I
would like to concentrate on this bit.

On Saturday 20 September 2008 03:04:39 pm solprovider@apache.org wrote:
> >  Is there a easy way to just use lenya as is and have the visitors of my
> > web site accessing content as if it where made from static html
> > documents?
>
> Lenya's primary use is WYSIWYG editing of (X)HTML documents.  Is this
> not obvious from the "default" Publication?

Yes, the 'default' publication looks like that. However, I hoped to learn to
use a content management system when I started to spend my time on Lenya.
Therefore I hoped that Lenya would not only do WYSIWYG editing of (X)HTML
documents but also manage the workflow. Actually it does, from what I saw.
However, I hoped the workflow would ultimately lead to output that is ready
to be shown on a web site. I'm still sure Lenya can do that, since there are
sites using lenya and you don't see port numbers in the URLs.

From former answers I now conclude that I need to deploy Lenya in a Tomcat
environment. No easy way to use lenya to that end. But perhaps some one know
still some other way. For example what if I configure in build.sh to use port
80 instead of 8888 in the Jetty instalation?

Thank you so much for your time answering me,
Gregor

Re: Newbie: How can visitors access content managed by lenya without giving a port number?

Posted by so...@apache.org.
On 9/20/08, Gregor Ebersberg <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I use Lenya 2.0.2 Standalone Installation (using the built-in Jetty) under
>  openSuse 10.2 running Java 1.5.0_16 from the rpms. I started lenya in the
>  terminal as root simply by "./lenya.sh &" (btw is there another way to stop
>  it but to kill the java process?).

The Lenya 1.2's lenya.sh locks the Lenya process to the directory (so
multiple instances can run concurrently with different JETTY_PORT
settings.), has a "stop" command (only affecting the process started
from that directory), and will automatically stop the current process
before restarting (if lenya.sh is run again from that directory.)
These abilities have not been added to Lenya 2.x's lenya.sh (although
fixing the code should be easy.)

>  Although I do program (among a lot of other things) in JAVA to develop applets
>  for years, I realized that I should be intimately familiar with servlets,
>  tomcat, and a lot of other stuff regarding server-side java technology in
>  order to understand whats going on in Lenya.

- Using Lenya to edit webpages should not require knowledge of any
technology besides Web browsing.
- Customizing Lenya's layout requires editing XLST files.  Simple
customizations only require HTML.  Most changes require XSL.  Advanced
programming can require Cocoon (for XMAPs), Javascript (for Flow), and
Java (for total control.)
- Tomcat is not necessary; Lenya defaults to Jetty.