Posted to dev@edgent.apache.org by Dale LaBossiere <dm...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/17 18:41:29 UTC

synergy with Apache Mynewt

Hey all,

Will and I had a chat with a couple of Apache Mynewt folks.

At a very high level, Mynewt is a cool RTOS for micro controllers.
Mynewt also has some nice dev tools for building and deploying images.

Mynewt devices seem most typically to be too constrained for running java-Edgent.
I didn’t ask but presumably even if we had a C++ based API/runtime
the cost/benefit to us seems like it wouldn’t be justified because...

A common configuration would be for a collection of Mynewt devices
to connect to the cloud via an IoT gateway.  They are promoting? (developing?)
a RPi based gateway.  A portion of Mynewt runs as a process, acting as
the conduit to the actual Mynewt devices.

They have APIs available for ingesting sensor data from these devices,
so it’s merely a matter of creating a connector that uses them in order
to make it easy to write IoT Gateway based Edgent apps that
ingest the data and do their thing.

I’ll look into this more when I’m back in the office.

If you have any interest or info to add, please chime in!

— Dale