Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> on 2005/05/23 00:00:25 UTC

Re: svn commit: r14798 - trunk/www

kfogel@tigris.org wrote:
> Author: kfogel
> Date: Sun May 22 17:53:32 2005
> New Revision: 14798
>
> Modified:
>   trunk/www/svn_1.2_releasenotes.html
>
> Log:
> * www/svn_1.2_releasenotes.html: Rearrange, and reformat to use the
>  new tigris.org stylesheets.

> Refer to the stylesheets via absolute
>  URLs, to achieve WYGIWYG when editing this page locally.

Granted, that works too, and browsers will cache things, but did you notice
that validate.sh would have downloaded the stuff locally, so that the
existing relative URLs would have worked?

I admit that the ability to compose edits to the webpages whilst offline
isn't really anything worth talking about, so I'm not too fussed if we keep
this change, but I think we ought to keep all the pages consistent. And, if
we decide to go with absolute URLs, then remove the chunk of code in
validate.sh which establishes a local copy of the CSS and images.

Oh, and "What You Get Is What You Get"? ;-)

Max.

Re: svn commit: r14798 - trunk/www

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> "Max Bowsher" <ma...@ukf.net> writes:
>
>>> * www/svn_1.2_releasenotes.html: Rearrange, and reformat to use the
>>>  new tigris.org stylesheets.
>>
>> Granted, that works too, and browsers will cache things, but did you
>> notice that validate.sh would have downloaded the stuff locally, so
>> that the existing relative URLs would have worked?
>
> I'll share some blame here.  Ignorant of validate.sh, I advised Karl
> to make the absolutely-URL-to-stylesheets change.  Sorry 'bout that.

I'm not objecting to the change - just want to make sure the existing option
is considered too. I can see pros and cons for both options, and am pretty
much of neutral opinion - but I do like consistency! :-)

Max.

Re: svn commit: r14798 - trunk/www

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Max Bowsher" <ma...@ukf.net> writes:
> > Refer to the stylesheets via absolute
> >  URLs, to achieve WYGIWYG when editing this page locally.
>
> Granted, that works too, and browsers will cache things, but did you
> notice that validate.sh would have downloaded the stuff locally, so
> that the existing relative URLs would have worked?

Ah, no I didn't, thank you.

> I admit that the ability to compose edits to the webpages whilst
> offline isn't really anything worth talking about, so I'm not too
> fussed if we keep this change, but I think we ought to keep all the
> pages consistent. And, if we decide to go with absolute URLs, then
> remove the chunk of code in validate.sh which establishes a local copy
> of the CSS and images.

Actually, I think I prefer the validate.sh way.  It makes more sense
for the URLs in the pages to be relative, so that things wouldn't
break if moved to a new domain, for example.

In r14801, I've reverted the stylesheet hunk of r14798.

> Oh, and "What You Get Is What You Get"? ;-)

I knew you'd know what I meant :-).

-Karl