Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2002/06/05 00:03:27 UTC

Job postings ?

Hi,

Just wondering if posting Tomcat-specific job offers on the list is
acceptable, or if there is another place I could post that too (the
rationale would be to be able to hire someone with extensive Tomcat
knowledge, and even better someone already involved with the community).
Since there's now a "Vendor" page on the Jakarta website, maybe I could add
a "Job Listings" page :)

Comments ?

Remy

Re: Job postings ?

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>If this takes off, it is going to be a pain for whoever has to maintain
>it as good java developers are always in demand (at least over here,
>they are), and reqruitment companies will see it as a very useful
>(free!) alternative to monsterboard & co.

They are?  Where is that?

Here still sucks:

http://jobsearch.dice.com/jobsearch/jobresults.cgi?sr=1&hp=10&cf=12.7f3afe80&brief=0&banner=1

I'm glad I have a job, but most of my friends are still screwed.  (Thats
Java positions in the last week for the 919 area code of North
Carolina).   (Unemployment was ~2.5 % for years, now its ~7.5%)

Yes it says 22 positions, but most of them are "requires 7 years of
COBOL experience" or something else absurd or
non-java related.

I'm genuinely interested if its so horrid in other areas.  While I'm not
relocatable I know several folks who are.

not only serverside but: http://www.javajobs.com/

>I personally think that forums for advertising job offerings are
>well-known and available, online, in abundance, making such a page both
>unneccessary and a waste of resources. So I'm -0.

yes.  If you ask me -1.  There are enough job sites.  There just aren't
that many jobs.  I'd be more
positive if it were somehow specifically Jakarta related, but I'm not
sure what kind of jobs would be
specifically jakarta related.

>As for job postings on this list, -1. There's enough cruft on this list
>already.

agreed.

-Andy

Re: Job postings ?

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.

RE: Can this be done...?

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu>.
Water Street is my second home, only 2 blocks away :-)

If you do a pure call to XML from your browser, you will need to
reference the XSL document which will be used by your 'browser' to do
the transformation as Jacob Kjome pointed out.

Probably the easiest way to test transformations is to do a simple jsp
with JSTL that takes in the XML and the XSL document as parameters.

Regards,
Jacob Hookom
Comprehensive Computer Science
University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire

| > |
| > | I want to use tomcat on my machine to test XSLT.
| > |
| > | I have a directory called Tomcat/webapps/testxslt.  There I have
| > placed my
| > | test.xml and test.xsl files.  I have copied xalan.jar,
xml-apis.jar,
| > and
| > | xerces-Impl.jar into my $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/endorsed directory.
Using
| > | command line Xalan I have validated that both files are well
formed
| > and
| > | work as expected.  Using a browser I can get to both the xml and
xsl
| > pages
| > | and view their contents, but the transformation never occurs.  I
do
| > have
| > | an href in the xml pointing to the xsl file.
| > |
| > | Am I wrong in thinking I can do this?  Is there maybe something I
need
| > | do to one of the configuration files to make this happen?  I
really
| > don't
| > | need the functionality of Cocoon yet so this scaled down testing
| > platform
| > | using Tomcat only would serve me well.  Any suggestions?
| > |
| > | Thanks in advance.
| > |
| > | --
| > |

| > ---
| >

| > --

---

Re: Can this be done...?

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Unless you set up a servlet or JSP to process the xml file using a
specified xsl file by explicitly invoking Xalan on it, all that will happen
is that the xml file will be served to your browser and the transformation,
if it is going to happen, will happen on the client side.

Actually, both IE5.5+ and Mozilla should be able to transform it on the
client side, but this has nothing at all to do with Tomcat.  tomcat is just
serving both files as static content.  Oh, keep in mind that the server has
to serve up xml and xsl files as "text/xml", otherwise no transformation
will take place (at least in Mozilla which is strict, as it should be,
about stuff like that).

Jake

Re: Can this be done...?

Posted by Tod Thomas <to...@verizon.net>.
On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 20:33:38 -0500
"Jacob Hookom" <ho...@uwec.edu> wrote:

> You might want to look at installing JSTL under the Taglibs "Standard"
>
> It provides simple xslt transformation by selecting a file as a source
> and a file as the xsl document, the download includes deployable wars
> that demonstrate this functionality.
>
> -Jake

Thanks, I'll have a look.  But was my original thinking wrong?  Should I expect tomcat to just perform the transform because I've set my xml/xsl up correctly, is there something extra I need to do, or is it just not designed to do that elegantly?

Say hi to Water St. for me.

Re: j_username in session cookie - where did it go?

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com>.
It was possibly an undocumented (and not part of the spec) feature.

You should just use => request.getRemoteUser()

Where request is passed in through doGet(request, response)  or however
that works in JSP.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Mark Schmeets wrote:

> Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:54:04 -0400
> From: Mark Schmeets <ma...@chipware.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: j_username in session cookie - where did it go?
>
> whoa, that seems like a very oversimplified answer. Some of us require
> security at the data level too. A "solution" like that makes Tomcat's
> authentication useless in that situation...

If you base your data security on the fact that the container has already
authenticated the user (and if you trust the container), why do you need
the password again?  You already know who the user is, and you can find
out if he/she has a particular role used to protect the data you are
checking for access rights to.

> Mark

Craig

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ed Thompson <et...@carolina.rr.com>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Ed Thompson wrote:

> Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 19:27:03 -0400
> From: Ed Thompson <et...@carolina.rr.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: j_username in session cookie - where did it go?
>
> OK, exploring the alternatives -
>
> I authenticate, then I  call the snoop.jsp in the tomcat examples directory,
> and it indicates remote User is null.
>
> Am I missing something else?

Authentication is per-webapp unless you turn on the Single Sign On
feature.  See "http://localhost:8080/tomcat-docs/config/host.html" for
more about single sign on (under Special Features).

Craig

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Ed Thompson wrote:

> It defaults to true, and I don't have it explicitly set.

Yeah, but what I was saying is that sometimes you need it to be false
(i.e. you need to explicitly set it to false).

> I got getRemoteUser to work, now I just need to find a password
> passing strategy...

If you got getRemoteUser to work, then the above is not the problem.
As to a password passing strategy, I suggest heeding Craig's advice.

Posted by Ed Thompson <et...@carolina.rr.com>.

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Ed Thompson wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:57:53 -0400
> From: Ed Thompson <et...@carolina.rr.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: j_username in session cookie - where did it go?
>
> I have just upgraded (uninstalled and reintsalled) from Tomcat 3.2 to
> Tomcat 4.0.4.
>
> I am using form based authentication, and found under 3.2 I could pull
> j_username out of the session cookie after authenticaion was done.

That's not how it really worked under 3.2, although if you are using BASIC
authentication you could decode the username out of the "Authorization"
header.

> Now under Tomcat 4 it doesn't seem to be there.  I know I tried it under
> Tomcat 4.0.1 before I upgraded and it worked, but not after uninstalling 3.2
> and installing 4.0.4 from scratch..
>
> Can anyone shed light on what is (not) happening?  Have the rules changed or
> have I not cfg'd something properly?

The portable way to get ahold of the authenticated username is to call
request.getRemoteUser().  See the servlet spec for more details on
container managed security:

http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html

> Thanx!
> Ed

Craig

j_username in session cookie - where did it go?

RE: Can this be done...?

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu>.
You might want to look at installing JSTL under the Taglibs "Standard"

It provides simple xslt transformation by selecting a file as a source
and a file as the xsl document, the download includes deployable wars
that demonstrate this functionality.

-Jake

---

Can this be done...?

Posted by Tod Thomas <to...@verizon.net>.
I want to use tomcat on my machine to test XSLT.

I have a directory called Tomcat/webapps/testxslt.  There I have placed my test.xml and test.xsl files.  I have copied xalan.jar, xml-apis.jar, and xerces-Impl.jar into my $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/endorsed directory.  Using command line Xalan I have validated that both files are well formed and work as expected.  Using a browser I can get to both the xml and xsl pages and view their contents, but the transformation never occurs.  I do have an href in the xml pointing to the xsl file.

Am I wrong in thinking I can do this?  Is there maybe something I need to do to one of the configuration files to make this happen?  I really don't need the functionality of Cocoon yet so this scaled down testing platform using Tomcat only would serve me well.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Can this be done...?

Re: Job postings ?

Posted by David Haraburda <da...@haraburda.com>.
As a (mostly) "lurker" and occasional patch submitter on the Tomcat-dev
list, and especially as someone who is in between contract/consulting
jobs right now, I think most wouldn't mind these occasional kind of
posts -- something that shows up in my inbox will get my attention right
away -- most aren't going to check such a web page on a daily or even
weekly basis.  This works out better for potential candidates, and for
companies hiring.

Just my two cents,

David

Re: Job postings ?

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

> Ok, so for those interested, you can go have a look there:
> http://www.sun.com/corp_emp/search.cgi?req=525358&cart=1-121

What heresy!  Sun is still using CGI ;-).

Re: Job postings ?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> As allways, it's easier to do than ask permission.
>
> Since you asked, I think it's too much overhead to have a page,
> but sending a mail on tomcat-dev doesn't hurt, it's quite
> refreshing to know there are still companies hiring.

Yep.

Posted by co...@covalent.net.

Re: Job postings ?

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@OWAL.co.uk>.
At 23:03 04/06/02, Remy Maucherat wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Just wondering if posting Tomcat-specific job offers on the list is
>acceptable, or if there is another place I could post that too

There is a mailing list for discussing the commercial aspects of using
Apache software
including people who can offer support. Job postings would be quite welcome
there

If you are involved in commercial support of any Apache software package
please join.

Basically the topics of conversation can include the many commercial
aspects which would be unwelcome
elsewhere on the technical lists.

Alex McLintock

Openweb Analysts Ltd, London: Software For Complex Websites
http://www.OWAL.co.uk/
Free Consultancy for London Companies thinking of Open Source Software.

Re: Job postings ?

Posted by co...@covalent.net.