Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Hank Beatty <hb...@apache.org> on 2017/12/05 16:49:03 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2

Hello Incubator PMC,

The Apache Traffic Control community has voted on and approved a
proposal to release Apache Traffic Control 2.1.0-incubating. We now
kindly request that the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
incubator release.

The VOTE RESULT is here:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a180ba5e90ed0e10972f647b444d039d7fee17a79fbab3b673999556@%3Cdev.trafficcontrol.apache.org%3E

The previous approved releases and release notes (along with links to artifacts,
signatures/checksums, and updated documentation) can be found here:

http://trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org/downloads/

This release once approved will also be at this location.

The proposed download page is here:

file:///media/repos/incubator-trafficcontrol-website/downloads/index-new.html

The git tag for the repository is "RELEASE-2.1.0-RC2":
https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/releases/tag/RELEASE-2.1.0-RC2

The source distribution is here:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/2.1.0/RC2/

Build instructions are included in the BUILD.md file which is included
in the source artifact.

Artifacts have been signed with the "hbeatty@apache.org" key listed in:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/KEYS

Please review and vote:

[ ] +1 Approve the release
[ ] -1 Don't approve the release (please provide specific comments)

Hank Beatty <hb...@apache.org>

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 7 December 2017 at 16:16, Hank Beatty <hb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/05/2017 06:31 PM, sebb wrote:
>>
>> On 5 December 2017 at 16:49, Hank Beatty <hb...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Incubator PMC,
>>>
>>> The Apache Traffic Control community has voted on and approved a
>>> proposal to release Apache Traffic Control 2.1.0-incubating. We now
>>> kindly request that the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
>>> incubator release.
>>>
>>> The VOTE RESULT is here:
>>>

>>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a180ba5e90ed0e10972f647b444d039d7fee17a79fbab3b673999556@%3Cdev.trafficcontrol.apache.org%3E
>>>
>>> The previous approved releases and release notes (along with links to
>>> artifacts,
>>> signatures/checksums, and updated documentation) can be found here:
>>>
>>> http://trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org/downloads/
>>>
>>> This release once approved will also be at this location.
>>>
>>> The proposed download page is here:
>>>

>>> file:///media/repos/incubator-trafficcontrol-website/downloads/index-new.html
>>

>> Rather difficult to reach this from here ... so cannot comment.
>> But the existing download page has some problems - see below.
>

> Here is the corrected link:
>
> https://trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org/downloads/index-new.html
>
> I believe all of the issues mentioned below have been corrected on this new
> page.

Yes, though it's a bit confusing to have multiple links to the same KEYS file.
I would drop the ones in the individual release lines.

Also the text says to download the 'asc' signature file but there are
no links with that name.

>>> The git tag for the repository is "RELEASE-2.1.0-RC2":
>>>
>>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/releases/tag/RELEASE-2.1.0-RC2
>>>
>>> The source distribution is here:
>>>

>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/2.1.0/RC2/
>>>
>>> Build instructions are included in the BUILD.md file which is included
>>> in the source artifact.
>>>
>>> Artifacts have been signed with the "hbeatty@apache.org" key listed in:
>>>
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/KEYS
>>

>> Better to use the canonical location
>>
>> https://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/trafficcontrol/KEYS
>

> The 2 KEYS files mentioned here don't seem to match. My key isn't currently
> in the second one, but understand what you are saying.

There's no harm in putting the signing key in the KEYS file before it is used.

So I would recommend dropping
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/KEYS
and instead maintaining the RM keys in
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/trafficcontrol/KEYS
It should contain the keys for all releases past and present.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hank Beatty <hb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hank Beatty <hb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

>  Thanks for the suggestion to reach out to the author for relicensing. He has moved the project under the MIT license. We’ll be updating our LICENSE file and starting a new release vote.

No problem glad you could resolve it.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2

Posted by "Eric Friedrich (efriedri)" <ef...@cisco.com>.
Hi Justin-
  Thanks for the suggestion to reach out to the author for relicensing. He has moved the project under the MIT license. We’ll be updating our LICENSE file and starting a new release vote.

—Eric

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> The Apache “resolved” page places Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) 3.0 into category B, but the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike licenses are category A for “unmodified media” [2]

Only if it is included in binary form [1] that file is plain text I suggest you ask on legal discuss if it’s OK to include or not.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2

Posted by "Eric Friedrich (efriedri)" <ef...@cisco.com>.
Hi Justin-
  I’m far from an expert on Creative Commons, so please bear with me.

 Reference 3 below is from the OWASP SecLists Project[1] which is under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike (CC-BY-SA) 3.0 license.

The Apache “resolved” page places Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) 3.0 into category B, but the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike licenses are category A for “unmodified media” [2]

I would consider the passwords_list.txt file a form of unmodified media and think we should be able to include it in our release in source form. (This is actually the same reasoning we apply to the Maxmind .tgz, which is also Attribution-ShareAlike CC-BY-SA 4.0).

1. https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_SecLists_Project
2. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-sa

— Eric

On Dec 11, 2017, at 1:03 AM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>> wrote:

Hi,

-1 (binding) until category B issue resolved [3], then I would be +1 on the release.

I checked:
- incubating in release name
- signatures and hashes good
- LICENSE and NOTICE files content good
- noticed one file possibly not having the correct header [1], but all other files look good
- no unexpected binary files in release
- can mostly compile from source (with some minor issues as I’m guessing OSX isn’t a supported platform?)

The inclusion Maxmind is CC by SA 4.0 [2] has been resolved from memory, however I'm not sure that this file [3] which is CC by SA 3 is allowed in the release and appears to be a "category B" file [4] (and not in binary form). I couldn’t find any discussion about on Apache lists, has this been discussed somewhere and I just missed it?

Thanks,
Justin

1. apache-trafficcontrol-2.1.0-incubating/traffic_router/core/src/main/java/com/comcast/cdn/traffic_control/traffic_router/core/config/ConfigHandler.java
2. apache-trafficcontrol-2.1.0-incubating/licenses/CC_A_SA_4-maxmind
3. apache-trafficcontrol-2.1.0-incubating/traffic_ops/app/conf/invalid_passwords.txt
4. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <pe...@uu.nl>.
On Mon, 8 Jan 2018, Hank Beatty wrote:

> Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 14:53:44 +0100
> From: Hank Beatty <hb...@gmail.com>
> To: dev@trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org, general@incubator.apache.org
> Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2

> On 01/08/2018 03:25 AM, Henk P. Penning wrote:

>>     Please use extension .md5 instead of .md5sum ;
>>     Also, use extension .sha512 for a SHA-512 checksum file.

> The above files have been renamed and the new download page has been
> updated.
>
> http://trafficcontrol.apache.org/downloads/index-new.html

   FYI ; Regarding the (new) download page :

   IF publishing 2.1.1 means that development on 2.1.0 has stopped,
   then, after publishing 2.1.1,

   -- remove 2.1.0 from /dist/incubator/trafficcontrol/ ;
   -- if you want to refer to 2.1.0 on your download-page
      (or elsewhere), refer to it as :

      http://archive.apache.org/dist/incubator/trafficcontrol/2.0.0-incubating/

   ref : http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#when-to-archive

> Hank

   Regards,

   Henk Penning

Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta                 R Uithof MG-403    _/ \_
Leuvenlaan 4, 3584CE Utrecht, NL          F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~penni101/ M penning@uu.nl     \_/

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <pe...@uu.nl>.

Posted by Hank Beatty <hb...@gmail.com>.

On 01/08/2018 03:25 AM, Henk P. Penning wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
>    regarding
>
>      https://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/trafficcontrol/2.0.0-incubating/
>
>    Please use extension .md5 instead of .md5sum ;
>    this is required :
>
>      http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution#sigs-and-sums
>
>    Also, use extension .sha512 for a SHA-512 checksum file.
>

>    Thank, regards,
>
>    Henk Penning
>

> ------------------------------------------------------------   _
> Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta                 R Uithof MG-403    _/ \_
> Faculty of Science, Utrecht University    T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
> Leuvenlaan 4, 3584CE Utrecht, NL          F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
> http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~penni101/ M penning@uu.nl     \_/

Hello Henk,

Posted by Hank Beatty <hb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <pe...@uu.nl>.
On Fri, 5 Jan 2018, Dan Kirkwood wrote:

> Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 00:24:24 +0100
> From: Dan Kirkwood <da...@apache.org>
> To: Henk P. Penning <pe...@uu.nl>, dev@trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org
> Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2
>
> Hi Henk..    I think those issues should now be resolved:
> - 1.8.x files removed from
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol
> - links to checksum and .asc signature files no longer point to the mirror
>
> thanks for pointing these out!

Hi Dan,

   regarding

     https://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/trafficcontrol/2.0.0-incubating/

   Please use extension .md5 instead of .md5sum ;
   this is required :

     http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution#sigs-and-sums

   Also, use extension .sha512 for a SHA-512 checksum file.

> Dan Kirkwood

   Thank, regards,

   Henk Penning

Posted by Dan Kirkwood <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dan Kirkwood <da...@gmail.com>.
My apologies -- Henk Penning -- not Hank...

Posted by Jeremy Mitchell <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hank Beatty <hb...@apache.org>.

On 12/29/2017 04:36 AM, Henk P. Penning wrote:

>    +1 :-) ; don't forget to update your download page ;
>    see also the points below [Regarding your website].

Hello Henk,

All of the changes mentioned below have been corrected on the new proposed download page located here:

http://trafficcontrol.apache.org/downloads/index-new.html

I'm working on removing the 1.8.1 links now.

Thanks,
Hank

Posted by Hank Beatty <hb...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <pe...@uu.nl>.
On Thu, 28 Dec 2017, Dan Kirkwood wrote:

> Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 19:22:58 +0100
> From: Dan Kirkwood <da...@apache.org>
> To: dev@trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org
> Cc: Henk P. Penning <pe...@uu.nl>
> Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2

Hi,

> Hi all..    I have updated the expiration date for my pgp key
> c4b33c804587a8f0 in accordance with the instructions Hank Penning
> included here.

   thanks ; the checker picked up the change :

   https://checker.apache.org/paths/incubator/trafficcontrol/1.8.0-incubating/
   https://checker.apache.org/paths/incubator/trafficcontrol/1.8.1-incubating/

> I also wanted to reach out regarding archiving old releases:   1.8.x
> was our first release under the Apache Incubator -- that's the last
> release using mysql.   We transitioned to using postgresql with 2.0.x,
> and have only done a single patch release for the 1.8.x series since
> then.
>
> Unless there are objections,  I will remove the 1.8.0 and 1.8.1
> releases per Hank's instructions.   I will leave the 2.0.x release in
> place until we at least have an official 2.1.x release.
>
> If you concur,   please reply with a +1.

   +1 :-) ; don't forget to update your download page ;
   see also the points below [Regarding your website].

> thanks!  Dan

   Thanks ; groeten,

   HPP

Posted by Dan Kirkwood <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <pe...@uu.nl>.

Posted by Hank Beatty <hb...@apache.org>.

On 12/06/2017 04:14 AM, Henk P. Penning wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Dec 2017, Hank Beatty wrote:
>
>> Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 17:49:03 +0100
>> From: Hank Beatty <hb...@apache.org>
>> To: general@incubator.apache.org
>> Cc: dev@trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org
>> Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2
>>
>> Hello Incubator PMC,
>>
>> The Apache Traffic Control community has voted on and approved a
>> proposal to release Apache Traffic Control 2.1.0-incubating. We now
>> kindly request that the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
>> incubator release.
>>
>> The VOTE RESULT is here:
>>
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a180ba5e90ed0e10972f647b444d039d7fee17a79fbab3b673999556@%3Cdev.trafficcontrol.apache.org%3E
>>

>> The previous approved releases and release notes (along with links to artifacts,
>> signatures/checksums, and updated documentation) can be found here:
>>
>> http://trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org/downloads/
>>
>> This release once approved will also be at this location.
>>
>> The proposed download page is here:
>>
>> file:///media/repos/incubator-trafficcontrol-website/downloads/index-new.html
>>
>> The git tag for the repository is "RELEASE-2.1.0-RC2":
>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/releases/tag/RELEASE-2.1.0-RC2
>
> Hi,
>
>> The source distribution is here:
>>
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/2.1.0/RC2/
>
>    Please rename
>
>      apache-trafficcontrol-2.1.0-incubating.tar.gz.sha

>      apache-trafficcontrol-2.1.0-incubating.tar.gz.sha512
>
>    Reference :
>
>      http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution#sigs-and-sums
>
>    Regards,
>
>    Henk Penning

I have renamed the file.

Posted by Hank Beatty <hb...@apache.org>.

On 12/06/2017 04:14 AM, Henk P. Penning wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Dec 2017, Hank Beatty wrote:
>
>> Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 17:49:03 +0100
>> From: Hank Beatty <hb...@apache.org>
>> To: general@incubator.apache.org
>> Cc: dev@trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org
>> Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2
>>
>> Hello Incubator PMC,
>>
>> The Apache Traffic Control community has voted on and approved a
>> proposal to release Apache Traffic Control 2.1.0-incubating. We now
>> kindly request that the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
>> incubator release.
>>
>> The VOTE RESULT is here:
>>
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a180ba5e90ed0e10972f647b444d039d7fee17a79fbab3b673999556@%3Cdev.trafficcontrol.apache.org%3E
>>

>> The previous approved releases and release notes (along with links to artifacts,
>> signatures/checksums, and updated documentation) can be found here:
>>
>> http://trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org/downloads/
>>
>> This release once approved will also be at this location.
>>
>> The proposed download page is here:
>>
>> file:///media/repos/incubator-trafficcontrol-website/downloads/index-new.html
>>
>> The git tag for the repository is "RELEASE-2.1.0-RC2":
>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/releases/tag/RELEASE-2.1.0-RC2
>
> Hi,
>
>> The source distribution is here:
>>
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/2.1.0/RC2/
>
>    Please rename
>
>      apache-trafficcontrol-2.1.0-incubating.tar.gz.sha

>      apache-trafficcontrol-2.1.0-incubating.tar.gz.sha512
>
>    Reference :
>
>      http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution#sigs-and-sums
>
>    Regards,
>
>    Henk Penning