Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2012/03/20 12:48:11 UTC

Lose Weight Program for OFBiz - themes

> I) $OFBIZ_HOME/themes/*: move a few of them to "Attic" and a few of them to "Extras"; keep just one (or two)

Jacques proposed to keep Tomahawk (default) and Flat Grey.
Olivier proposed to keep just one (Tomahawk, I guess).
No other comments so far.
What should be do with the remaining themes? Attic or Extras? Are there volunteers for Extras? I would suggest that, if we move them to Extras we create *one* project only (for all the themes) rather than one project for theme... but I would love to get your feedback on this.

Jacopo

Re: Lose Weight Program for OFBiz - themes

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Another data point: I've been in several OFBiz shops recently and have
observed that many people end up using Flat Grey. Not sure why this is.

IMHO Tomahawk looks nice, but in the end, the mixture of dark and light
is hard on the eyes. Having to scroll over to expose links makes
navigation more cumbersome. The hierarchical features are really nice,
but if you have to hunt around to find them, it diminishes their appeal.
This is just my opinion and the reason I always end up using Flat Grey.

Best Regards,
Ruth Hoffman

Posted by Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Mansour Al Akeel" <ma...@gmail.com>

Posted by Mansour Al Akeel <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ad...@sandglass-software.com.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Mansour Al Akeel" <ma...@gmail.com>
> [...]
>>> make it the default one.
>>

>> What makes you think "most users use flat gray to base their work" ?
>
> Sorry, I didn't express it properly. I meant most user based on my
> experience. I have two developers, I worked with,
> extend flat gray, and customize it as they need. This is not a number
> that can be a base for a statistical study,
> and generalize it. It's only my limited experience. Sorry for the confusion.
>
>> Could you define "easier and cleaner", and why Flat Grey is easier and
>> cleaner (besides that it's the only one that is RTL which I
>> understand for you is a must have)
>
> Cleaner and easier in terms of usage:
> The menu is at the top, showing all the available item, makes it easy
> to see what I need in case I navigated to the wrong section, or need
> another
> section. Nothing hidden. In fact even as a demo, it has some positive effect.
>
> and Cleaner and easier in terms of development:
> Flat Gray code is not cluttered. (that is how I feel).
>
>> What makes you think Flat Grey looks more professionnal? For me Flat Gray
>> has not enough contrast. In other words all looks
>> grey/pale and it's difficult to spot things.
>
> I work more with enterprise portals than with ERPs. From what I have
> seen, portal severs default theme is mostly light,
> with darker high light. And I find FlatGray closer to them than
> Tomahawk theme is.
>
> For example:
> http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/
> and:
> http://www.liferay.com/products/liferay-portal/overview
>
> After all, It is not that hard for a developer to change the style of
> OFBiz themes to reflect the colors she likes.
>
>> With Tomahawk I quickly spot buttons, links, etc. because there is more
>> contrast. Maybe it's
>> If you read me, it's not about being fancier but ergonomic which is for me
>> the only priority for the community to use OFBiz OOTB
>> (contrary to deployments)
>
> It's the opposite to me. I find it easier to spot things using
> FlatGray. But again not a big deal.
>

>> Also I'd like to know why Flat Grey is the only Theme being marked as being
>> Sight-Impaired Accessible? Adrian? I remember I began to
>> add <<title="Skip navigation" accesskey="2>> (which is really only a
>> small/poor beginnng) but that's for all themes. What is
>> specific to Flat Grey?
>>

>> The only things I could concede:
>> 1. Like 1 to 5% of the male population (women are rarely touched) I'm
>> daltonian (kind of sight-impaired ;o) so my vision about
>> contrast is maybe biased
>> 2. Maybe, because it uses a blackboard background style rather than a white
>> paper style, Tomahawk is more arduous for eyes on a long
>> term (hours of work)
>
> Yes. I can see this, and I agree.
>

>> Thanks for sharing your opinion :o)
>>
>> Jacques
>>

> Finally, it's a personal preference.
> However, I like to keep FlatGray. Doesn't have to be the default,

That's an important point, and makes me need to consider indeed!
I mean it's not obvious for new comers that only one theme is RTL able
I think it should be default because of that, and keep Tomahawk as OOTB alternative

Jacques

Posted by Mansour Al Akeel <ma...@gmail.com>.
Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Mansour,

From: "Mansour Al Akeel" <ma...@gmail.com>

Posted by Mansour Al Akeel <ma...@gmail.com>.
Jacques,

From: "Ashish Vijaywargiya" <vi...@gmail.com>

Posted by Ashish Vijaywargiya <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
I prefer to keep the Flat Grey and one other.

Op 20 maart 2012 12:48 schreef Jacopo Cappellato <
jacopo.cappellato@hotwaxmedia.com> het volgende:

Posted by Divesh Dutta <di...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Comments inline:

On Mar 20, 2012, at 5:18 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

>> I) $OFBIZ_HOME/themes/*: move a few of them to "Attic" and a few of them to "Extras"; keep just one (or two)
>>

> Jacques proposed to keep Tomahawk (default) and Flat Grey.
> Olivier proposed to keep just one (Tomahawk, I guess).
> No other comments so far.
> What should be do with the remaining themes? Attic or Extras? Are there volunteers for Extras? I would suggest that, if we move them to Extras we create *one* project only (for all the themes) rather than one project for theme... but I would love to get your feedback on this.

I agree to add other themes in Extras. More because its goes with the idea of using a resource as plugin and putting them in extras.

Thanks
--
Divesh