Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Bryan T. Schmidt" <bt...@profitool.com> on 2001/09/13 23:55:07 UTC

Apache::LogFile

Howdy folks... got a wierd one here, although I bet someone knows what
to do about it.

I am running Apache 1.3.20, mod_perl 1.26, and mod_ssl (most recent
version that works with Apache 1.3.20).  The following happens with Perl
5.005_03 and 5.6.1.

In my httpd.conf, I have :

# mod_perl stuff...
#
PerlRequire             conf/startup.pl
PerlFreshRestart        On

PerlModule Apache::LogFile
PerlLogFile logs/PTW-access.log PTW::access
PerlLogFile logs/PTW-error.log PTW::error
PerlLogFile logs/PTW-debug.log PTW::debug
PerlLogFile logs/PTW-security.log PTW::security

<Location /PTW-Server/FileFilter>
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler PTW::FileFilter
</Location>

So I have FileFilter.pm, which does some things, and is working quite
happily.  On 4 of my other servers, I have this exact same configuration
with Apache 1.3.14 and mod_perl of similar vintage.  My problem is that
my PerlHandler's (like PTW::FileFilter) cannot write to the log files.
 I have been using statements like:

print PTW::error ("you had a big old error");

For some reason, with the updated config, this no longer works, and my
Apache error_log says:

Invalid command 'PerlLogFile' perhaps misspelled .... yadi yada.

Any clues why this would be any different in newer versions?
Also, I tried changing "PerlModule Apache::LogFile"  to  "PerlRequire
Apache::LogFile", which results in Apache barfing saying that there is
no such animal in @INC.  I have verified that it is infact in the @INC
path, so why can Apache not see it?
Lastly, the very odd thing to me, is that something is successfully
creating the logs/PTW-access.log etc.  If it can create them, how come I
cant write to them?  Something is screwy, and I clearly do not have a
good grasp on what is going on.  Can someone please help me a bit?

Thanks!
-Bryan

--

Bryan T. Schmidt
Systems/Network Administrator

bts@profitool.com

Apache::LogFile is broken

Posted by "Brian B." <bb...@nc.rr.com>.
Hello everybody.

I upgraded from apache 1.3.14 to 1.3.20 (1.26), and it seems my Apache::LogFile is
no longer working.

from httpd.conf (starting at line 31):
PerlModule Apache::LogFile
PerlLogFile "|/usr/local/apachessl/bin/cronolog /usr/local/apachessl/logs/mylog.%y%m%d" My::Logger

from httpd error_log:
Syntax error on line 32 of /usr/local/apachessl/conf/httpd.conf:
Invalid command 'PerlLogFile', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server
configuration

I noticed the same problem mentioned on the list previously, but I didn't see any useful
suggestions.  Any fixes or workarounds (other than downgrading)?

thanks in advance,
Brian

Re: Apache::LogFile

Posted by "Bryan T. Schmidt" <bt...@profitool.com>.
This problem went away when I downgraded to Apache 1.3.17, mod_perl
1.25, and mod_ssl 2.80.  I would really like to use the up-to date
versions if I can... can someone provide me with a clue to what has changed?

-Bryan