Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/11/15 02:31:48 UTC

Editing STATUS file

Nicola,

Since you made the latest round of changes to the site structure, hopefully
you can explain things.

In incubator/site/projects/directory.cwiki, it says:

  incubator/projects/{project_name}/STATUS

However, it appears that you replaced that file with:

  incubator/projects/{project_name}.cwiki

except in specific cases like Geronimo, where it is:

  incubator/projects/geronimo/status.cwiki

Is that correct?  If so, are we intending to list all of the active
committers in that file, as suggested by:

  *Are all active committers in the STATUS file?
  *Do they have accounts on cvs.apache.org?
  *Have they submitted a contributors agreement?

So far, I am not finding lists of committers on the STATUS pages linked from
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html.  I did find in some older
projects a file like
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/incubator-altrmi/status.xml, which has a
different structure, and has the developers.  But most projects have nothing
along these lines.

Please advise, as I am trying to get the Directory project STATUS setup.

	--- Noel

Re: Editing STATUS file

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>I did this so that it's easier to start a project status file and keep
>>track of it. I did not update the STATUS files though, as we need a new
>>format for them.
>
>>@see http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?NewProjectSTATUSTemplate
>
> Is there a difference between the project status file and the STATUS file?
> The paragraph above seems to suggest that they are different.

Well, the status file in the incubator CVS is about *incubation* status,
so it should contain all and only the items that are relevant to incubation.

If projects use a STATUS file to record their project chores and issues,
it's their business.

>>Unfortunately, [earlier changes break] the layout as I intended to have:
>>  incubator/projects/projectname.cwiki  (status file)
>>  incubator/projects/projectname/**     (site)[1]
>>In fact [1] is where altrmi and ftpserver and geronimo are publishing
>>their site.
>
> How's about if we do it as:
>
>   incubator/projects/$project.cwiki         (status file)
>   incubator/projects/$project/status.cwiki  (alt status file)
>   incubator/projects/$project/**            (incubator resources)
>   incubator/$projectname                    (project web-site)
>
> That would keep each project web-site and incubator resources totally
> separate, and leaves us with room for incubation documents such as the ones
> for geronimo.

+1

Furthermore incubator/$projectname is exactly like all other projects do.

> That is similar to your other layouts.  So we just need to settle on one,
> and do it.  :-)
>
>>Let's finish a new version of the status file, and start using
>>that for the Directory project.
>
>>http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?NewProjectSTATUSTemplate
>
> That seems OK with me.  Do you have a .cwiki format for it?

Nope.

Before I'd like to see if others have comments on it.

Specifically

* maybe it's better to list project resources as a table
* the action items are stated as questions: is it ok?
* maybe it's better if with __DONE__ they add the name of the
   person saying so (CVS history is impractical) and add
   at least a reference to what may prove it (for some action items)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

RE: Editing STATUS file

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: Editing STATUS file

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Nicola,
>
> Since you made the latest round of changes to the site structure, hopefully
> you can explain things.

Yup :-)

> In incubator/site/projects/directory.cwiki, it says:
>
>   incubator/projects/{project_name}/STATUS
>
> However, it appears that you replaced that file with:
>
>   incubator/projects/{project_name}.cwiki

I did this so that it's easier to start a project status file and keep
track of it. I did not update the STATUS files though, as we need a new
format for them.

@see http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?NewProjectSTATUSTemplate

Mods and better layout welcome.

> except in specific cases like Geronimo, where it is:
>
>   incubator/projects/geronimo/status.cwiki
>
> Is that correct?

Yup. That was made by Roy as Geronimo has other incubation docs that
need a place.

Unfortunately, this breaks the layout as I intended to have:

  incubator/projects/projectname.cwiki  (status file)
  incubator/projects/projectname/**     (site)[1]

In fact [1] is where altrmi and ftpserver and geronimo are publishing
their site.

The problem comes from the fact that ftpserver and altrmi have the site
in their space, and just use that URL as a publishing space. If they
need to place the same extra incubation docs as geronimo, they will have
problems.

So we could do:

  incubator/status/projectname.cwiki         (status file)
  incubator/status/projectname/status.cwiki  (alt status file)
  incubator/projects/projectname/**          (site)

or

  incubator/projects/projectname.cwiki         (status file)
  incubator/projects/projectname/status.cwiki  (alt status file)
  incubator/projects/projectname/site/**       (site)

> If so, are we intending to list all of the active
> committers in that file, as suggested by:
>
>   *Are all active committers in the STATUS file?
>   *Do they have accounts on cvs.apache.org?
>   *Have they submitted a contributors agreement?

I would like to see it, yes.

> So far, I am not finding lists of committers on the STATUS pages linked from
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html.  I did find in some older
> projects a file like
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/incubator-altrmi/status.xml, which has a
> different structure, and has the developers.  But most projects have nothing
> along these lines.

The status files are ATM not very uptodate, and some projects are
keeping their status files in their own cvs structures.

> Please advise, as I am trying to get the Directory project STATUS setup.

We need to sort this out first IMHO. Let's finish a new version of the