Posted to dev@archiva.apache.org by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com> on 2007/01/31 00:09:41 UTC

repository id vs repository url

I'm the one responsible for the misguided repository.urlName concept.

It's biting me in the butt now, but I still feel strongly enough to keep
it as a concept.

My justification.

1) Makes the repository snippet make sense.
2) Makes URLs nice and clean.
3) Allows future work to auto-adjust pom-internal <repositories> when
proxying to point to archiva repo instead.

The repository snippet has proven to be very popular, and tying a long
form id found in a <repository> element in your pom to the url prefix
seemed wrong.

   Using ID :      http://localhost/repository/corporate.snapshots/
   Using Url Name: http://localhost/repository/snapshots/

How do the other developers feel about this decision?
Should we dump repository.urlName in favor of id across the board?

- Joakim

Re: repository id vs repository url

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
I'm just thinking about this now. I much prefer the 'specify the
path' approach and was thinking of dumping the magic ID's and just
referencing by name in the webapp and using an internal identifier
instead. Much the same as I've been thinking of dumping <id> from
Maven itself.

I'll get back to you when I've finished thinking about it :)

- Brett

Posted by Aaron Digulla <di...@hepe.com>.
Quoting Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>:

> I'm the one responsible for the misguided repository.urlName concept.

Maybe you'd like to have a look at DSMP (http://www.pdark.de/dsmp/)

I'm using the repository ID to find out which user/password to use
during deploy but other than that, I'm ignoring it.

When Maven wants to download any artefact, I have it go through DSMP
and rewrite the URL in there. This way, I can control how Maven
accesses the Internet and from which URLs it can download. I have one
central place to configure and it will work no matter what you put in
your settings and POMs.

http://www.philmann-dark.de/