Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2001/02/02 06:52:48 UTC

Re: [RFC] mod_perl Digest path...

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Geoffrey Young wrote:

> sorry again for all the confusion with this morning's digest (I do code more
> carefully than I write, really I do...)
>
> this does present the opportune time to ask the list about the future of
> this digest...
>
> currently, the digest does not have a HTML home.  Matt at take23.org has
> graciously agreed to host it and work on the XML stylesheets required for
> the site.  This is a very good thing - but unfortunately, there is no easy
> way to derive a decent plain text version from an XML base...
>
> thus, the move to take23.org may mean that the digest no longer appears on
> the list in plaintext, but merely as a posting with a link to the current
> version...
>
> how does this strike everyone?

Why everybody tries to solve a problem that doesn't exist IMHO? Why
sourcing in XML in first place. Just throw the email as currently
generated by Geoff between <PRE></PRE> and that's it. That's what
ApacheToday and other online zines do and it seems just fine.

I guess that the only issue are the hrefs, but I guess this can be easily
converted with s/\[\d+\]/.../.

Thanks

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://apachetoday.com http://logilune.com/

Re: [RFC] mod_perl Digest path...

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Geoffrey Young wrote:
>
> > sorry again for all the confusion with this morning's digest (I do code more
> > carefully than I write, really I do...)
> >
> > this does present the opportune time to ask the list about the future of
> > this digest...
> >
> > currently, the digest does not have a HTML home.  Matt at take23.org has
> > graciously agreed to host it and work on the XML stylesheets required for
> > the site.  This is a very good thing - but unfortunately, there is no easy
> > way to derive a decent plain text version from an XML base...
> >
> > thus, the move to take23.org may mean that the digest no longer appears on
> > the list in plaintext, but merely as a posting with a link to the current
> > version...
> >
> > how does this strike everyone?
>
> Why everybody tries to solve a problem that doesn't exist IMHO? Why
> sourcing in XML in first place. Just throw the email as currently
> generated by Geoff between <PRE></PRE> and that's it. That's what
> ApacheToday and other online zines do and it seems just fine.

You're so 1990's Stas :-)

> I guess that the only issue are the hrefs, but I guess this can be easily
> converted with s/\[\d+\]/.../.

Thats the main issue really, when you're talking about a thread, the [x]
links can get quite hard to follow with all the scrolling you end up
doing.

But we do have it worked out now anyway, we just need to get an easyish
interface for uploading new digests built.

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **
 // \\| // **     Personal Web Site: http://sergeant.org/     **