Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Daniel Naber <da...@t-online.de> on 2005/02/08 19:22:27 UTC

branch "jakarta"...

Hi,

what are the "jakarta" and "lucene" branches in Lucene's SVN about? Also,
shouldn't the lucene_1_4_2_dev branch be renamed to lucene_1_4_dev? This
should be easy now with subversion, isn't it?

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: branch "jakarta"...

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Feb 8, 2005, at 1:53 PM, Daniel Naber wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 February 2005 19:48, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>
>> We can remove them (svn remove) if they have no value - and in those
>> first two cases they probably don't (svn diff to find out, maybe).
>
> I assume "remove" works similar as in CVS where you can always get
> things
> back from "Attic"?

Yes.  It'd be a pretty scary version control system if things were that
easy to delete permanently :)

	Erik

Re: branch "jakarta"...

Posted by Daniel Naber <da...@t-online.de>.

Re: branch "jakarta"...

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
These are the branches someone had created in CVS and simply got
migrated over to Subversion.

We can remove them (svn remove) if they have no value - and in those
first two cases they probably don't (svn diff to find out, maybe).

And, yes, renaming a branch* in Subversion is easy:  svn move
lucene_1_3_2_dev lucene_1_4_dev

* There really is no such thing as a "branch" in Subversion.
Subversion uses the path along with some conventions (trunk, tags,
branches are just conventions) to represent paths.  To branch in
Subversion, use svn copy to the branches directory.  A copy in
Subversion is cheap - it is represented as pointers back to the
original.